New plugin: Citations (with Zotero)

To get a link to Zotero you need to use {{zoteroSelectURI}} in the template, the resulting link will open an item in your Zotero library.

To directly open the file from Obsidian you need to edit the link substituting select with a direct open-pdf/library option

Below how the links should look like in markdown

[Show in library](zotero://select/items/1_4XK234ZW)
[Open PDF in default browser](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/FLQZ3X3K)
2 Likes

Try this in your template: [{{title}}](file://{{entry.files.[0]}})

1 Like

BetterBibTeX is refreshing the .bib file, but the Citations plugin isn’t seeing the update. I’ve been using Obsidian’s Reload without saving command, but have seen that this sometimes results in data loss (or it did at one time).
Auto-refresh would be super cool if I could get it working!

1 Like

Thanks for this, works great!

Hi all,

So this issue is ongoing for me. Whenever I try to execute “Citations: insert literature note link,” the link appears in the middle of the text on the line above my current selection. Does anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

Thanks!

@jgauthier I will humbly withdraw this request.

I’ve come to realize that I was trying to use this as an extraction tool rather than a citation tool, which is what it really is. Now, using this alongside the wonderful Mdnotes Zotero extension fulfills my need.

When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail - I just needed more tools in my toolbox.

3 Likes

Both solutions don‘t work, at least for me.

1 Like

Can anyone help me out? I simply want to insert a Pandoc-style citation, which should look like this: [@BibTexKey]. However, I always get [[@BibTexKey]], which is then gets improperly rendered with Pandoc. I cannot figure out how and/whether I can change that pattern of inserting double square brackets. What am I missing?

Still the use of {{note}} can give a direct note extraction method. Minimizes the complication of extra plugins and gives a more robust workflow. I would love to see it.

@romanov.maxim there are two similar, but different features: “insert literature note link” and “insert markdown citation” - have a look, in your hotkey settings, at the respective shortcuts.

1 Like

Yes, I checked those — I cannot figure out how to change the pattern for inserting pattern. For the “markdown primary citation template” I have: @{{citekey}} (and the same for the secondary one), but it always inserts this pattern in double square brackets (to make it work as a wikilink).

I guess, the problem I am having is that there is no default “Insert markdown citation” hotkey. How to make one?

I mean the obsidian hotkey settings - not the plugin settings…

And in the plugin settings, the “markdown primary citation template” should be [@{{citekey}}]

1 Like

What are you trying to achieve? What OS are you in?

For example, Zotero links doesn’t work well for Zotero installed as flatpak for those on Linux

Vielen Dank! Sehr hilfreich!

1 Like

@mixpap - I won’t disagree things would be easier, but the plugin dev is limited to the way BetterBibTex pulls the information. In there the notes come through, but they aren’t well organized. I found that out after looking a little deeper and playing with Mdnotes templating, which is a little more robust - and should be, given what it’s being asked to do.
Maybe he’ll find a way - who knows. Meanwhile, I’m going to stick to this for citations, and Mdnotes for data extraction.

For those on Linux (at least in Debian/Ubuntu) that want to use zotero:// links, I recommend using GitHub - retorquere/zotero-deb: Packaged versions of Zotero and Juris-M for Debian-based systems (this will take care of setting the URL protocol for you). Otherwise, you need to set up the Zotero URI in the same way that you did with the Obsidian URI.

2 Likes

This extension is amazing! One problem I have is, if the paper title has colon, which is very common, then the YAML will be invalid. Is there any way to bypass this problem? Like having a choice to replace all colons to dashes?

1 Like

You could wrap the title in quotation marks in the template:

title: "{{title}}"
1 Like

Try

[Pdf file](<file:///{{entry.files.[0]}}>) - [Zotero item]({{zoteroSelectURI}})

Works on MacOS Catalina

2 Likes