New Link Format toggle keeps reverting to Relative Path to File

What’s not working

Every once in a while, and I can’t seem to find a pattern to this behavior, when I attempt to make an internal link, the resulting link is using the relative path [[../../path-to-file]] and then I into the preferences and see that it’s set to “Relative Path to File”. So, I update it to “Shortest Path when Possible” and it works again.

Everything will work fine for some time and then again, randomly, I go to make a link and it’s back to “Relative”. There seems to be reason to it.

Things I have tried

I have uninstalled and re-installed. Not sure what else to try.

My app currently shows v0.13.7 with installer version 0.12.19.

Are you using obsidian sync (or any other syncing solution)?

Not for this vault. It’s only open on a single work computer.

If you have syncing enabled for another vault: could it be that these two vaults somehow share the same obsidian settings folder?

Hmm I don’t think so. This vault resides on a computer with no other vaults. And the Sync plugin is not even turned on for this vault. I do use git to push these to github every once in a while, but I don’t make changes to this vault anywhere else.

Just to be sure, I checked, and the .obsidian/app.json hasn’t changed in github for 21 days so I don’t think anything is changing the file outside of Obsidian.

Interestingly, I just closed Obsidian and launched it and the setting had reverted back to Relative. I changed it, closed it, and relaunched and it stayed. I wonder if it’s possible that one of my plugins is making that change?

That was my next guess… Which plugins are you using?

This is my plugins file:

[
  "calendar",
  "note-refactor-obsidian",
  "sliding-panes-obsidian",
  "find-unlinked-files",
  "obsidian-excalidraw-plugin",
  "obsidian-kanban",
  "recent-files-obsidian",
  "obsidian-tasks-plugin",
  "oz-image-plugin",
  "obsidian-git",
  "dataview",
  "obsidian-style-settings",
  "tag-wrangler",
  "templater-obsidian",
  "obsidian-embedded-note-titles",
  "table-editor-obsidian",
  "workspaces-plus",
  "maximise-active-pane-obsidian",
  "markdown-prettifier",
  "obsidian-markdown-formatting-assistant-plugin",
  "quickadd",
  "obsidian-mind-map",
  "url-into-selection",
  "obsidian-outliner",
  "obsidian-auto-link-title",
  "customizable-menu",
  "obsidian-pandoc",
  "obsidian-day-planner",
  "obsidian-custom-attachment-location",
  "file-tree-alternative"
]

Hmm, that is a couple of plugins… :laughing: To be honest, I don’t use most of the plugins from your list, so I really don’t have any idea… Does one of your plugins maybe (directly or indirectly) influence the way links are created/altered?

Haha yes I tend to go a bit heavy on the plug-ins. I’ll take a look and see, but I don’t think they do.

I’m having this same issue for v0.13.14…

EDIT: So I just turned off all of my community plugins and the setting correctly stayed on Shortest path when possible and did not keep incorrectly changing to Relative path to file. I suggest disabling all your plugins and then re-enabling them one by one to see which one is the culprit.