New Link Format toggle keeps reverting to Relative Path to File

What’s not working

Every once in a while, and I can’t seem to find a pattern to this behavior, when I attempt to make an internal link, the resulting link is using the relative path [[…/…/path-to-file]] and then I into the preferences and see that it’s set to “Relative Path to File”. So, I update it to “Shortest Path when Possible” and it works again.

Everything will work fine for some time and then again, randomly, I go to make a link and it’s back to “Relative”. There seems to be reason to it.

Things I have tried

I have uninstalled and re-installed. Not sure what else to try.

My app currently shows v0.13.7 with installer version 0.12.19.

1 Like

Are you using obsidian sync (or any other syncing solution)?

Not for this vault. It’s only open on a single work computer.

If you have syncing enabled for another vault: could it be that these two vaults somehow share the same obsidian settings folder?

Hmm I don’t think so. This vault resides on a computer with no other vaults. And the Sync plugin is not even turned on for this vault. I do use git to push these to github every once in a while, but I don’t make changes to this vault anywhere else.

Just to be sure, I checked, and the .obsidian/app.json hasn’t changed in github for 21 days so I don’t think anything is changing the file outside of Obsidian.

Interestingly, I just closed Obsidian and launched it and the setting had reverted back to Relative. I changed it, closed it, and relaunched and it stayed. I wonder if it’s possible that one of my plugins is making that change?

That was my next guess… Which plugins are you using?

This is my plugins file:

[
  "calendar",
  "note-refactor-obsidian",
  "sliding-panes-obsidian",
  "find-unlinked-files",
  "obsidian-excalidraw-plugin",
  "obsidian-kanban",
  "recent-files-obsidian",
  "obsidian-tasks-plugin",
  "oz-image-plugin",
  "obsidian-git",
  "dataview",
  "obsidian-style-settings",
  "tag-wrangler",
  "templater-obsidian",
  "obsidian-embedded-note-titles",
  "table-editor-obsidian",
  "workspaces-plus",
  "maximise-active-pane-obsidian",
  "markdown-prettifier",
  "obsidian-markdown-formatting-assistant-plugin",
  "quickadd",
  "obsidian-mind-map",
  "url-into-selection",
  "obsidian-outliner",
  "obsidian-auto-link-title",
  "customizable-menu",
  "obsidian-pandoc",
  "obsidian-day-planner",
  "obsidian-custom-attachment-location",
  "file-tree-alternative"
]

Hmm, that is a couple of plugins… :laughing: To be honest, I don’t use most of the plugins from your list, so I really don’t have any idea… Does one of your plugins maybe (directly or indirectly) influence the way links are created/altered?

Haha yes I tend to go a bit heavy on the plug-ins. I’ll take a look and see, but I don’t think they do.

I’m having this same issue for v0.13.14

EDIT: So I just turned off all of my community plugins and the setting correctly stayed on Shortest path when possible and did not keep incorrectly changing to Relative path to file. I suggest disabling all your plugins and then re-enabling them one by one to see which one is the culprit.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.