New Link Format – differences and use cases

I’m trying to understand the setting for New Link Format – and when to choose which one of the three.

My vault is split in two major parts: One for project documentation, which use folders for file system-level structure, and a Zettelkasten, which is just a flat directory.

My main concern is future proofing the Zettelkasten part, and the links that I create there. The project part has enough structure on file system-level.

I guess Absolute path in vault is the most robust, in terms of other applications being able to follow the links?

If I change the setting for New Link Format, will Obsidian retrospectivly change all current internal links?

Unfortunately not yet, but I would expect more link conversion and export tools in the future.

Yes and no. Absolute path could be problematic if you want to access notes across devices using cloud storage.

Personally, I’m using shortest path and all my filenames are unique. There are many apps that recognize the [[wiki-link]] style and link conversions should be easier in the future. Link readability is important to me.

This is what I do.
And using file explorers (internal or external) to move files always indicates if there’s a clash so easy to address.

Ah, the Absolute path is a way to cater for duplicate filenames? But since I use a UID first in all my note names, I can safely choose shortest path?

Wouldn’t want to speak in absolutes (pun intended), but I think the answer is yes. In my opinion, having unique filenames across the vault offers more robustness and portability than using a certain link format.

Regarding duplicate filenames, even if your link format is set to shortest path and you have a duplicate filename, Obsidian will use the relative path with the folder.

1 Like

Yes and no. Absolute path could be problematic if you want to access notes across devices using cloud storage.

Are you sure? Since it’s “Absolute path in vault” shouldn’t it still work?

I can understand how if it were just “Absolute path” that it wouldn’t work across multiple devices.

I don’t currently use a cloud sync service so I can’t easily test this, but plan to eventually sync across devices using a cloud service. I don’t want to have to discover I was wrong & have to manually change a ton of links.

Are you sure? Since it’s “Absolute path in vault” shouldn’t it still work?

Yes, that’s right, my apologies.

I’m still having an issue…

If I copy the obsidian URL to a file, then paste into my task manager… and then move the file form within obsidian, the link in my task manager no longer works. It says “file not found”