Nested ordered list with arbitrary numbers do not work in reader

I apologize for the confusion earlier. Now, I will restate the issue following the template.

Steps to reproduce

1. Use an ordered list.
  2. Modify the numbering of the ordered list.
  3. Enable the reading mode.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I have tried the above steps in sandbox mode and the issue still persists.

Expected result

After modifying the numbering of the ordered list, the indentation format is still displayed correctly in reading mode

Actual result

After modifying the numbering of the ordered list, there is a formatting error in reading mode, and the indentation is incorrect.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Minimal v7.0.7
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 11
Plugins enabled: 9
1: File Explorer Note Count v1.2.1
2: Advanced URI v1.36.4
3: URL Namer v1.0.1
4: HTML Reader v1.0.10
5: Dataview v0.5.56
6: Advanced Tables v0.19.0
7: Calendar v1.5.10
8: Recent Files v1.3.6
9: Minimal Theme Settings v6.3.2

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Ordered list has BUG
The following is edit mode
编辑模式1

The following is the reading mode
阅读模式1

I need to use it to modify the serial number.
But as soon as I modified the serial number, it cannot be displayed normally in the reading mode

I might be typing it wrong, but you should try here:

https://babelmark.github.io/?text=1.+first+line ++++1.+first ++++++++1.+first ++++++++++++1.+first+ ++++++++++++2.+second 2.+second+line ++++21.+two-one ++++22.+two-two ++++22.+two-three ++++++++1.+one ++++++++2.+two

It seems that commonmark does not support nested numbered list with arbitrary numbers. Nothing we can do about it.

https://spec.commonmark.org/dingus/?text=1.%20this%20 %20%20%201.%20is%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%201.%20correct text 1.%20this%20%20 %20%20%203.%20is%20not%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%202.%20supported

BUG上传

This is indeed unfortunate. Is there any plugin that can solve this issue?

Why does it display correctly within code blocks?
BUG展示2

New discovery.

This is very strange.
QAQ
BU444展示20230724_060924

Codeblocks aren’t parsed that’s why they remain the same. What you see is the correct behavior according to the commonmark spec. There’s no plugin to change that I know of.

@WhiteNoise

Thank you for your response. I now have a general understanding of the situation. According to the Markdown specification, it does not support modifying the numbering of ordered lists, which is why in the Obsidian reader, I am unable to see the indented format as it was during writing.
It would be great if the reader could support maintaining the indented format, but unfortunately, it is currently not supported.

So, here’s what I can do now:

1. Try to contact the creators of the Markdown specification and see if they can enhance the specification to support modifying the numbering.
  2. Attempt to reach out to the creators of the plugins and see if they can provide technical support to display the “maintain indentation” feature in the reader.
  3. Learn new knowledge to solve this problem.

Regarding acquiring new knowledge, could you provide some general directions? For example, if I want to create related plugins, what areas of knowledge should I focus on?