Nested lists fail to display properly at sufficient depth

Steps to reproduce

Open sandbox vault, make highly nested list, observe broken preview and source display. It depends on the width of the display but just try 20 levels.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y. Happens everywhere, including sandbox vault, and has been ever since I first used Obsidian last year, I believe.

Expected result

Continued indentation, at least until the actual end of the wrapping point (it usually starts bugging out halfway), use a horizontal scrollbar like most other application dealing with many indents. Markdown compliance should support indenting lists as many times as you want.

Actual result

You will eventually see subsequent indentations not have the vertical guide lines and not indent the full amount, continue and the indents will start making the text go in the opposite direction while having greater line spacing.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.7
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Wed Jul 5 22:22:05 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3~6/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 22.6.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

The location of new items in deep lists floats. In the video demonstration, everything is clearly visible.

Steps to reproduce

Create list items with deep nesting

Actual result

List items should not behave unpredictably

Environment

Additional information

Video Demonstrations:

Does anyone have any idea how long this bug existed? I don’t know how to install old versions but I know it existed since 1.35

You might be the first person to encounter it (apparently not; looks like an older post has been merged in here) — lists nested that deep are probably rare. I would guess that it exists at least as far back as 1.0 when the app was redesigned.

Really though? This is such a basic thing I assumed it was already known and didn’t even make this post for the whole year.

1 Like

Really! I think few people are likely to ever nest a list that deeply. So while it’s not complex, I wouldn’t consider it basic.

This has been an issue for as long as I remember. And I’ve been using Obsidian since the summer of 2020. To try to remedy it I reduced the tabs to 2 spaces to get more items before it begins to behave poorly.

For a while I thought it has been fixed, but definitely breaking around the 4th indentation for me.

I use Obsidian for diagnosing and exploring issues and nesting is inevitable — I get to a point where an issue is not the root cause, so I need to dig deeper and nest more lines/steps under it, until I get to the bottom of it.

Highly annoying to have to use an external code editor for that, as I miss all of the comfort of the Obsidian environment I have created.