My Task Management System

Yes, though problem I was having was self-inflicted. What was confusing for me is that most of my tasks are showing up like this:

[ ] Description ( [Linked Note] > [#tag] )

Because I used a tag in the header many of tasks are under (why I’m doing that, I don’t know - I’m still figuring things out). I unknowingly kept clicking the tag, thinking it was all one url, and it keep creating a new page for that tag.

I realized today that the [Linked Note] part did link to the relevant note. So it’s working as expected, and now I have to figure out whether using a tag in a header makes sense or not.

I’d really like to move all my task management into obsidian, but it’s still not clear to me how all project tasks make their way to the project note.

Do all the project tasks only reside in the project note to keep them together? Or is it possible for project tasks to be spread throughout daily notes as well. If it’s the latter, how do you make them visible and or transfer/migrate them into the project note.

Do you migrate all project tasks to the project note manually or are you doing some query in the project note to draw them in?

Thanks!

My preference is to add tasks to each project note so that I can find everything already done & outstanding related to each project.

I also use a query to pull into another note, due & overdue tasks, like

not done

happens today

# group by filename
group by priority

sort by priority
sort by description
sort by scheduled
sort by priority
sort by description
short mode
hide task count

This produces a grouped & sorted list of all tasks due today.

A good place to start is Introduction | Obsidian Tasks

1 Like

Thanks for this. I did read this but it was helpful nonetheless.

I suppose m’y question is more about workflow rather than the technology.

I had like the idea of keeping a running log of my day (like bullet journal) that would include generating tasks for specific projects and then I was using queries to pull all project related task from daily logs into a list in the project note. The problem is that I can’t figure out how to move and regroup by that method.

So it sounds like folks maybe putting these fleeting notes into the project directly (I.e. similar to manual migration in bullet journal) and perhaps referencing back to the daily note to maintain the daily log.

Just not sure if that is the recommended workflow if I want to manipulate tasks in the project note. Because other folks seem to be fine to just create tasks anywhere in their vault anytime. But that just seems too messy if I’m working from a project based focus.

Thanks

I’m not clear what exactly you are trying to do. I like @IWC put project related tasks into the project note, and then use tasks queries to show in my daily note those which are due or scheduled for a particular day. I also now use a status field on the project to show in my daily note which projects need to be moved forward this week.

But it sounds like you are trying to go the other direction, i.e. put tasks into daily notes and then query them in a particular project? To do that you would need to use a tag for project in the title of the task and use that in the query in the project note.

2 Likes

Ok thanks and thanks @IWC . This validates what I was thinking. No I don’t want to have tasks In the daily note necessarily but want the best way to work with tasks in the project note. I think I just need to learn better to navigate between note la to reduce friction. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for sharing your experience with task management in Obsidian! It’s great to hear that you’ve found a method that works well for you, especially with the Tasks plugin and Dataview. Your approach of using notes for projects and recurring tasks, and integrating them with your Daily Note, sounds like a robust system.

For anyone interested in exploring project task management tools and techniques, they can check out Online Task Management Software | Planfix for comprehensive task management features. Planfix offers a range of tools to help organize tasks, track progress, and improve efficiency in managing projects.

Don’t place adverts here. This forum is about Obsidian