My computer broke, and I’m trying to recover my files

Things I have tried

I’ve tried searching .md files, obsidian, and vault in the files app on my computer.
I am not tech savvy at all.

What I’m trying to do

So, my motherboard got fried in my old laptop. I bought a new one, and I got a good portion of my files moved to it, but I can’t find my obsidian files. I’m going to try going through the transferred files again with a friend tomorrow, and if that doesn’t work we’re going to try to pull it directly from the hard drive again.
If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

I’m sorry this happened to you. You must learn to keep good backups of your data.

What operating system are you using? If you are on Windows, there is a really good search program called “Search Everything”. Everything - voidtools

Why can’t you find them? Do you not remember what the path to your Obsidian vault was? Or do you go to the path, but the files aren’t there? Are folders there, but no files? Or are entire folders missing?

1 Like

So, I have no idea how the files are set up, but I went through all the stuff they pulled off my hard drive and couldn’t find anything labeled obsidian or anything that looked like it. As far as I can tell, the files/folders don’t exist on the thumb drive they gave me.

Like I said before, I’m planning to talk to my friend who knows a lot more about this stuff later. I’m mostly just wanting to know if anyone has had the same issue, since as far as I’m aware the hard drive in my old computer is fine.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.