Multiple Paragraphs in a List Item

There was a post back in March here about struggling to create multi-paragraph list items. I wanted to reply to it with the solution I’ve found, but unfortunately it’s been closed.

The original post was by @cool-RR so I’m hoping I can still be of help 8 months late.

I found when implementing a list item if I enter

into the live edit view, the tags will disappear, but the break rows will be inserted. Anyway, hope I’m not too late, but it worked for me :slight_smile:

I was excited to see this thread, but disappointed to see that you forgot to attach the actual content. It seems like there’s an image in your post that isn’t included or something. Can you try again?

1 Like

Are you just adding <br /> tags in the text where you want the new paragraphs to begin? That’s what I would do. It even works in this forum.

- This is a bullet list with multiple paragraphs in one list item.<br />This is a new paragraph without a new list item.<br /><br />There is a blank line before this one.
- This is a new list item.

The above gives you this:

• This is a bullet list with multiple paragraphs in one list item.
    This is a new paragraph without a new list item.

There is a blank line before this one.
  • This is a new list item.

Adding <br /> will add line breaks, not paragraph breaks. To add more paragraphs to a list item you should indent them by four spaces (or one tab). Indented code blocks as part of a multi-paragraph item should be indented by eight spaces (or two tabs):

- First item

Second paragraph of the first item

Some verbatim text

- Second item

This will render as:

This is a “standard” Markdown feature and nothing Obsidian-specific, i.e. it will work in any Markdown application.

3 Likes

It’s really a pain to get these nested paragraphs right. I wish there was some sort of plugin that made it easier.

You want something like a command to insert the correct whitespace to add a new, nested paragraph element?

imo, learning the specifics of markdown is the key to bypassing this difficulty, instead of finding nice ways to coexist with it. Even if it’s easier to add an “Add New Paragraph under Item” command, and it is harder to memorize syntax.

The problem is all the markdown processors are quite inconsistent in that respect.

Just look at this obsidian plugin which even assumes that tasks are single-line items:

Everyone ships their markdown processors before finishing the work.

Without consistency it’s very hard to learn the proper markdown

1 Like

Agreed, and I should rephrase “specifics of markdown” to “the markdown processor you’re using”.