Moving multiple notes

First, search the help docs and this forum. Maybe your question has been answered! The debugging steps can help, too. Still stuck? Delete this line and proceed.

What I’m trying to do

Question, I googled but wasn’t sure how to word it so I didn’t find much
I have a vault for characters in the history of my world. I want to move all the notes with the characters into the folders of their house name.
So for example
Lord John Smith
Lady Jane Doe
What I was wonder is if there is a way to select all notes with “doe” or “smith” in the title and then moving them to the correct folder? I know I can click and hold shift to select multiple notes, but they are not all in alphabetical order because the first names vary.

Things I have tried

I tried using the search pane and file name option, but cannot drag and drop the notes from there. I sent a query to the discord without help. I searched drag & drop multiple notes, but that just gave me the click first, shift, click last but that is not what I need.

I don’t recommend this solution. Moving files outside Obsidian will can break the links.

You can use app.fileManager.renameFile in the developer console, DataviewJS codeblock, TemplaterJS, … to programmatically move/rename your files.

But yes, it requires some knowledge about Obsidian API (not very difficult tho).

2 Likes

Moving files from outside of Obsidan can break links. If the links include a file path, they will break. If the’re just the note name, they’ll continue working (unless you’re using the non-default “relative links” setting, in which case those will break too).

2 Likes