Mixing italic with some bold at the beginning or end works in source and live preview but not reading view

Steps to reproduce

Create an italic sentence with one bold word (or letter) using the same character to produce italic/bold style, for example the * character (the same result would happen with _):

*italic with some **bold***  

Edit: the bold word (or letter) must be at the beginning or end of the italic section.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, tested in sandbox vault.

Expected result

The sentence should be italic, and the wanted word (or letter) italic+bold.

Actual result

The character used to make the sentence italic (* here) is not interpreted in reading view: the character is visible at the beginning and end of the sentence, which is not italic, and the wanted word (or letter) is only bold.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

This kind of mixing italic with some bold is only wrong in the reading view, and when using the same character to trigger both italic and bold styles.

It works in source view and live preview.
It works if using different characters (for example * and _, in any order) to trigger italic and bold.
It works for a sentence in bold with some word (or letter) in italic.
Edit: it also works if the bold word (or letter) is not at the beginning or end od the italic section, but in the middle of it.

Example in source view:

Live preview shows:

Reading view shows:

1 Like

Noticed that myself, and the quickest and most intuitive solution in my case was to use _ for italics instead of * - this way I don’t mix up stars, and it’s actually more legible in source mode ( _some **bold**_ is honestly more legible than *some **bold*** - way too many stars that make me think whether I typed all the proper stars to avoid some whole-note italic nightmare)

Confirmed on iOS 17.

• Have the same problem.
    It will be good to have some options: what syntax to use for bold and italic in Obsidian