Missing "Emoji as Illegal Character" Warning from title header

Since you have illegal character warnings in the note title header, I thought you may want to know this, but I’m not sure if this is the right category for it.

Context

Some Roam users are used to putting emojis in their note titles. Helps with easier distinction in the sidebar. So, I did the same in my Obsidian database, as it looked handy.

Turns out that Dropbox doesn’t sync files with emojis in the filename. I know you shouldn’t care about the “bring your own cloud” limitations, but I’m guessing that Roam users + Emojis + Dropbox would be pretty common. Maybe this should be an option in the markdown importer?

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new note
  2. Put emoji in the title
  3. Navigate away from the title panel

Expected result

I expected to see a message “Filename cannot contain any of the following characters … or emoji”

Actual result

I get no error

Environment

• Operating system: Mac OX Mojave
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.4
  • Using custom CSS: Obsidian Purple Theme

Additional information

I have been able to use emoji. Have you?
I ran into issue with dropbox, though.

Maybe we’ll disable this feature if other problems arise.

Are your emojis in Unicode or in the form of :thumbsup:, if I may ask?

@Silver, mine were entered with windows win+. shortcut.

That’s the Unicode version and should probably work (in @cotemaxime’s case it worked at least).

Mine were added with the macOS “Insert special character” palette and yes, they work in filenames. The problem was with dropbox Not syncing AND not telling me that it ran into problems.

I’ll move ths to archive

It seems like it’s experienced by other Dropbox users too: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-not-syncing-files-with-emojis-in-the-filename/td-p/263856

The OP in this thread mentioned that other sync services like Google Drive seems to sync fine, which is weird.