Misaligned bullet point with long strings

Steps to reproduce

Copy the following snippet into the Obisidian Sandbox, and make the width such that the string following the last bullet point wraps.

- testString
	- test string for when the line is long, but the wrapped characters are not consecutive
	- test string for when the line is long, and the wrapped charactersare consecutive
	- test-string-of-when-the-line-is-long,and-the-wrapped-characters-are-longer-than-the-width-of-theline
	- testStringOfWhenTheLineIsLongAndTheWrappedCharactersAren'tSeparatedByHyphens

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide?

Y

Expected result

I expected the string which follows the final bullet point to wrap, so that second line begins at the same x-index as the first line.

Actual result

Instead, the second line begins to the left of the beginning of the right line, and the bullet point is shifted to the left (losing its alignment with the previous bullets).

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.12
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.4.0: Fri Mar 15 00:11:05 PDT 2024; root:xnu-10063.101.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 23.4.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

This formatting peculiarity also occurs with numbered lists.

I figure this situation is probably uncommon. I stumbled across this potential bug taking notes about a repository that had some long method names.

Super fan of Obsidian!

Looks different on iOS:

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 17.5.1 (Apple iPhone14,5)
Obsidian version: 1.5.12 (134)
API version: v1.5.12
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Also, when you post example Markdown it’s best to mark it as code so the forum doesn’t render it and so it’s easy to copy. I’ve done it for you here.

1 Like