Minimap: "Where am I in this way too long document?"

As per this comment, I’ll make a separate feature request from it:

How about a Minimap, as Sublime Text, Atom, and other editors and IDE have it?

(Personally, I don’t have that many long documents in my second brain, but I really dig this feature in source code editors.)

35 Likes

Possible duplicate / merge candidate for this thread regarding an in-document outline.

5 Likes

I like this idea and definitely think it would make navigating longer documents easier. In the meantime, my current idea for a workaround is to create a “Table of Contents” (TOC) document to keep open while working on a long document. This TOC document could contain header links to each main section of the long document.

3 Likes

Great idea!

2 Likes

Bumped due to the fact that the core plugin, Outliner, isn’t exactly what we want.

I’d like to almost replace my verticle scrollbar with a minimap that I can scroll through, much like with vscode. Bonus points if you can hide/show the minimap with your cusror close enough to the edge.

4 Likes

like in VSCode minimap.
like minimap for webpage.

probably you can use pagemap · mini map for web pages · larsjung.de for building.

16 Likes

Thank you! I came in here for this. I happen to have some longer files in my obsidian publish and being able to have this feature on the web would be awesome. Web dev is def a new thing for me.

3 Likes

related to:
minimap-where-am-i-in-this-way-too-long-document
outline-view-in-sidebar
and
breadcrumb-path-display-list-view-for-howd-i-get-here

3 Likes

Bumped this due to my urge of having this working ASAP.

GitHub - lrsjng/pagemap: Mini map for web pages. was a really cool find!

EDIT: Here’s another thread bump I made recently: Minimap: "Where am I in this way too long document?" - #5 by gfy. Little more detailed of a response.

5 Likes

Sometimes I have to move to a different app to work on long documents.
@gfy cold you use that workaround? If so, can you share detailed instructions?

+1 to get this feature implemented ASAP. :pray:

4 Likes

What is happening? Can’t find this anywhere! As said before, skimming and scrolling through long notes, especially ones with pictures would be much easier and faster. There is really no dev who likes this idea? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Up vote for this plugin. Or a feature request.

4 Likes

Upvoted

4 Likes

I found this Canvas minimap plugin Canvas minimap - #5 by groberts56
But I still miss this feature for long text notes…

Is the implementation for text notes more difficult?
Why has anyone tried to implement it yet, after almost 4 years?
I’m not a programmer, so I am not able to go for it… sorry!

I would really like to see some progress on this text minimap.

1 Like