Migration from Bullet Journal to Zettelkasten

Years ago my personal note taking was no longer based on trial and error but on a solid concept called Bullet Journaling. It started on paper with a lovely Moleskin book and a black fine liner from Neuland. Going digital with my Bullet Journal I decided to use a brilliant tool for note taking named OneNote. But time went by. In March 2022 I got my first contact with Obsidian and at the same time with the Zettelkasten method from Niklas Luhmann explained in the mind-blowing book from Sönke Ahrens about “How to take Smart Notes”.

Migration from OneNote to Obsidian was a migration from structured notes to networked notes. But how to migrate a Bullet Journal to a Zettelkasten? Difficult to switch from one concept to another? No, it’s very easy. The Bullet Journal is now a set of Structure Notes in my Zettelkasten. Also Zettelkasten is a Custom Collection in my Bullet Journal.

In other words:

• my Zettelkasten is a Bullet Journal and
  • my Bullet Journal is a Zettelkasten.

The best of all: I did not need to change the basic concepts from Ryder Caroll (Bullet Journal), neither the concepts from Niklas Luhmann (Zettelkasten). Both concepts support each other in a perfect manner.

What about your experiences with theses methods? Do you use the Dataview plugin to support your Bullet Journal collections?

• Ahrens, Sönke. How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking, 2022.
  • Carroll, Ryder. The Bullet Journal Method - Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future, 2018.
5 Likes

It’s crazy to me that there is not much written on this topic as both concepts are so huge now a days.

I’m using note-taking / note-making in a zettlekasten kind of fashion for 2 years now. But have been struggling with keeping on top of all the things going on at the same time. Private and work. Not so much the schedule and planned stuff but more the 5 to 20 requests a day for short 5min tasks, updates, questions and things i want to remember.

I’ve tried

• Daily notes
    which worked ok, but lacked overview to me. i almost never looked back

• Things 3
    Amazing stuff but did not integrate well with obsidian and was a chore to get going.

• Bullet journaling
    This is something i picked up 3 weeks ago. And man i do love how it slows me down to think, plan, schedule and clear my head. Also the overview the easy glance of what happened the last 3/4 days.
    But one big downside to me.
    Idea’s pop up when i do not have my note book with me (in the gym, walking outside or doing other random stuff)
    Also my writing is terrible. i hate it and i cannot read it back if i dont go really really slow.

And then i found you’re comment on

As i do know you should never copy someone else he’s workflow but i am curious. how do you go about your daily log and logging / migrating daily tasks?

3 Likes