Migrating from zkn3 to obsidian without losing your tags and internal links: documentation

Thank you for all this @alltagsverstand. I finally got it - had to install gnu-sed and use gsed instead of sed. Then all seems to work exactly as described.

The note sequence was what I thought was so powerful about zkn3.
It really helped me organise notes and thoughts, It seems thats mostly how most of my notes has been connected, in these sequences.
Seems I have to go through note by one and then link them together - you are not aware if there us a way to do this with regex in zkn3?

As someone that has been using Obsidian, what would be the best way to emulate this? Just by making ā€˜table of contentā€™ style overacting notes?

I think thatā€™s the only way, unfortunatelyā€¦ Yet, you could at least do a second export that gives you an overview of what should be linked together: in zkn3, you can do a search ā€œStammzettel von Folgezettelnā€ which will result in a list of all notes that have one or several Folgezettel. Then, export these search results to a single markdown file, chosing only ā€œheadingsā€ and ā€œFolgezettelā€ as exported elements.

Thanks for the tremendous work! I came across this thread (and the Obsidian in general) when Iā€™ve been searching for an issue I had with zkn3. Iā€™ve been using and loving it for years (more than 23.000 notes by now), but it sure isnā€™t perfect. Obsidian looks so much better and I would love to use it. Unfortunately, there are still some issues.

1. Iā€™ve followed your instructions and ended up with files whose structure looks like this:
    [hashtag] null [number]: [title]

[hashtag][hashtag] null

[hashtag]<tag 1>

Is this how itā€™s supposed to look? I would be under the impression that the ā€œnullā€ markers shouldnā€™t be in there at the end of the process?

1. In zkn3 my cross references were included as hyperlinks (via the ā€œ[z *]ā€ tags around expressions), but in my files I ended up with, these are not hyperlinks but just appear in front of the expression that used to be the hyperlink. Is this an indication that something went wrong?

2. When I open the files in Obsidian I have them appear just as numbers. I realize that this is what the rename command does for the files, but is it normal that in Obsidian as well you cannot see the titles more easily?

3. Iā€™m with KPT, note sequences (ā€œFolgezettelā€) are absolutely essential for my workflow. Is this a feature that may be included in a future release or maybe via a plugin? Iā€™m not sure if I understand exactly how Obsidian works; is there maybe a way to simulate this feature in the current version?

Thanks again for the great help!

Just a short reply as I am a bit in a hurry:

1. Question 1: you canā€™t get rid of these ā€œnullā€ markers in your files - thatā€™s a strange behavior of the zkn3 markdown export (this might possibly change at a certain point - as far as I understood, the guys who took over zkn3 development from Daniel were planning to improve the appā€™s markdown integration; but I currently have the impression that the whole project will rather fall into oblivion in the middle runā€¦). This said, you have to adapt your headings manually step by step when working with your notes. At least it does not restrict any functionality (it is more of an ā€œaestheticā€ questionā€¦).
  2. Yes, this is the result of the above described migration steps. The aliases of your internal links stay outside of the link itself. I just realized this later on. There might be some solution for this with sed (I could think about this when I have some more time). The most important thing, however, is that you donā€™t lose your internal links.
  3. Currently, obsidian just shows file names in the explorer. There are a couple of feature requests to show headings instead of file name - I think at some point this feature might be implemented.
  4. You could open a feature request for this.

In general, obsidian has a great potential and offers a couple of features and a great amount of working flexibility that zkn3 doesnā€™t have. Yet, on the other hand, some of the important zettelkasten-related features (as ā€œFolgezettelā€ or the importance of linking notes via tags) are not implemented. After some months of discussions in this forum, I rather have the impression that most people that have never worked with zkn3 before even donā€™t see their added valueā€¦ :wink: I couldnā€™t figure out a good simulation of these features yet - if you like, you might PM me and we could exchange a bit about this topic as I am still thinking about these questionsā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, that clears things up! Yeah, I would like to talk about some of the issues involved. But there appears to be some restriction on who is allowed to PM you (with other users there is a ā€œMessageā€ button, but for you itā€™s missing). Could you maybe add me to the exceptions?

@PunktPunktPunkt have you migrated to Obsidian from zkn3?
If so how does it work for you going with your massive amount of notes to obsidian?
Did you find a way around note sequences in your Obsidian, as Iā€™m still on the fence to wether I should convert all my sequences in my zettlekasten by hand to some form of ā€˜table of contentā€™ - however I feel its a very poor sub for the note sequence.

Wow thank you so much!! Made the transition to Obsidian way easier than expected!

Dear alltagsverstand,

I found your post about the issue involving the migration of zkn3 to obsidian very helpful. I was about to start this route since I still think that zkn3 is the best software the emulates the true Zettelkasten structure. Nevertheless since it seems that you had a lot experience with zkn3 I wonder to know how you implemented your zettelkasten notes in Obsidian. Would be possible to share a bit some tips about that?

Any help in this direction will be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Fernando

1 Like