Meta Post - Syncing between Devices

What is your setup for gdrive if I may ask?

I use Resilio Sync (File Sync Software - Sync Home | Resilio Sync) to sync folders (and files) between my different computers. Works flawlessly, but isnā€™t possible to implement on mobile devices.

On a related note, for those using mobile devices, donā€™t forget that you can have custom settings for each device if youā€™d like. Just copy the original ā€œ.obsidianā€ file, rename it and choose it in the Settings:

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m currently making a Syncthing integration. The plugin is not fully completed yet but have basic features. If you would like to give it a try and make some feedbacks, Iā€™ll be happy to hear from you !
Here is the link to the GH repo : Syncthing integration for Obsidian

4 Likes

This would be so genious. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll make a lot of iOS users happy, since obsidian is very restricted there!

:partying_face::mega::smile:

1 Like

On a slightly related note, I jumped from Windows ā†’ Linux as my daily drivers.

I used google-drive-ocaml to mount Google Drive which was passable but I started getting disconnects mid-session which would freeze my desktop for minutes on end and so I decided to pivot to syncthings this morning.

Itā€™s too early to tell whether or not I will have any large issues, but the biggest benefit easily is that the integration with a local environment has drastically sped up Obsidian. I was assuming that some separate issues I were facing were just the price of using Linux instead of Windowsā€¦ Itā€™s only now that I realize that the slow responsiveness to the more taxing activities (launching the app, pasting pictures, populating templates w/ text) were all due to a subpar connection to a vault. The app is lightening fast now.

Definitely something to keep in mind for fellow KDE/Debian/Linux users.

1 Like

I started with Obsidian in Mac recently and was very pleased to say the least.

I was bummed though, how bad the iCloud Sync to iPhone works.

It takes minutes, almost every time I start Obsidian on iOS to sync everything. Most often it seems to just have hung up completely.

I am still a bit clueless as how to resolve this. Iā€™d like to have my files on my Mac permanently available. On iOS I need to check some files from time to time. Should I use one of the community plugins to sync?

Please start a new Help thread for your question. Thanks!

1 Like

That link has moved to
https://notes.joschua.io/50+Slipbox/Setting+up+Obsidian+on+Android+with+Dropbox+sync

2 Likes

Thanks! I updated the post.

2 Likes

Hey yā€™all,
I thought this might be also interesting in here:

I recommend GitHub - vrtmrz/obsidian-livesync

The Nextcloud Notes on Android is pretty good, but the IOS version is really barebones, so that solution is not as good on IOS.