Meta Post - Hotkeys

Global system-wide hotkeys for creating and searching Obsidian will help me to really make it my second brain.

There are already two other posts on this:

2 Likes

@lizardmenfromspace, should I post my suggestion here or create a new post about it and link to this post.

I really think that is a great ideia to aggregate all hotkeys in one place.

Create your own post then paste a link to said post as a comment to this one.

Got It!
Thanks!

This my post about a switching Panels:

2 Likes

Hotkey for turning Pin on/off:

Hotkey for navigating notes:

1 Like

Styling shortcuts
(select text and hit shortcut to apply text styling)

bold (CMD + B)
italic (CMD + I)
url (CMD + K)
==highlight== ( no shortcut )
>code ( no shortcut )
$math$ ( no shortcut )

Would it be possible to get keyboard commands for the missing ones? Or is there a way to write new macros? CMD + SHIFT + H for highlight or something?

3 Likes

Typora has cmd-K for link, option-` for code, option-command-C for code block and command-option-B for math block (Mac).

I really need this keyboard shortcuts too. Mainly for ==highlight==

1. Moving selected text up/downwards.
  2. Un/Collapse the blocks (lists, headings etc )
  3. Many VSCode ones :slight_smile:
3 Likes

It should be implemented as VSCode way cmd+1, cmd+2 etc.

i would love to be able to jump to the previous day’s note and the next days note from any given days note

Another styling/formatting shortcut:

• convert selection to ordered and unordered list
1 Like

lots of show-hide or ‘go to’ commands are needed. Toggle left-sidebar/right-sidebar is useful, but more specific commands are needed for

• go to backlinks
  • go to tags

It seems like the items in the left sidebar have this, but right do not.

edit: also missing “go to file explorer”.

2 Likes

You can do duct tape together a highlight shortcut with Keyboard Maestro:

%CurrentClipboard% is just a variable for the clipboard, so inserting ==%CurrentClipboard%== is just pasting whatever you just copied… but with the =='s added to each side.

According to a discussion here I can probably remove the pause, actually.

edit: obviously, this doesn’t remove the highlight, but you could probably actually cobble that together with keyboard maestro too with an if/then search for the ==s within the selection or on each side of the selection. If there, remove them.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been mentioned already - but cotemaxime from Discord mentioned that I should post as a feature request here. There should be a shortcut hotkey customization for creating a link, currently it is bound to Cmd+K but would like to use that hotkey for a diff. functionality.

@lizardmenfromspace Add https://forum.obsidian.md/t/hotkey-for-dark-light-theme-toggle/276

Given that Maestro is MacOS only, I created a shortcut with Autohotkey:

Just create a new script with the following:

; Markdown Highlight

^+e::
	Send,^c
	ClipWait
	Send, ==^v==
Return

; Syntax
; ^ = CTRL
; ! = ALT
; + = SHIFT
; # = WIN
; :: = run when pressed keys together

Works without delays even for large selections of text, only issue is that to revert styling you have to hit CTRL+Z thrice as the script can’t apply the styling in one action (instead pastes “==”, then the selected text, then “==” again).

2 Likes

Hotkey to enable/disable Custom CSS plugin.

The latest changes have broken a lot of custom CSS, especially as it relates to Pane movement. My current work around is to disable custom CSS, place panes, re-enable custom CSS. A hotkey would make this more convenient now, but also in the future as changes are likely to break more custom CSS.