MarkDownload - Markdown Web Clipper

I mean all you have to do is look up the plethora of memes about Chrome’s RAM usage.

Aside from that, Safari has much higher quality-of-life in the Apple ecosystem due to better integration between desktop/mobile browsing, etc.

If people are willing to pay for an extension on one browser rather than get it free on another, that’s their choice. Why should you police that? Let the markets decide.

How was I trying to police anything?

It was just a question, and I didn’t mean anything by it. I use many browsers, even Safari when nothing else works and I would prefer it if all programs were available on all OSs.

I’m sure this extension would be there already without the cost, and, if there are guaranteed to be enough people to pay, I doubt there will be an issue.

You must be aware of the number of complaints from small developers (and some not so small ones) about Apple’s charges. It’s a particular issue for multi OS programs, and part of Apple’s walled garden strategy, so not really about free market competition.

Many memes, but not so much understanding of how it functions in practice.

I don’t need to understand how it functions in practice to know that Chrome slows down significantly if I have too many tabs open.

1 Like

Feature request: replace forbidden characters in title with space.
Example: This link, when downloaded, creates a title with [ ] within the title, which then causes problems later with linking to the file.

Rather than :[视频]中共中央政治局召开会议 决定召开十九届五中全会 分析研究当前经济形势和经济工作 中共中央总书记习近平主持会议

I’d prefer: 视频 中共中央政治局召开会议 决定召开十九届五中全会 分析研究当前经济形势和经济工作 中共中央总书记习近平主持会议

1 Like

This makes sense, and the extension already strips out characters that are disallowed in filenames (from windows).
I’m on the fence about adding [ ] because I intend MarkDownload to be generic markdown and not Obsidian-specific, but it probably makes more sense to add them than not.

Maybe add user defined forbidden characters for the title, or a toggle for Obsidian forbidden characters?

I was actually thinking that exact thing: A user-defined list of forbidden characters which is populated with [, ] and # by default. https://github.com/deathau/markdown-clipper/issues/25

Side note: TIL [ and ] aren’t actually disallowed by Obsidian (but they cause problems and you can’t link to these notes).

Hi!
I just stumbled into this thread, and I like your extension so far very much. Maybe I’ve searched with the wrong terms, but I was looking for something like that for a while now :smiley: From collecting bookmarks to get back to a particular information I’ve come to integrate such information in my note taking. So downloading a webpage as markdown is just brilliant.

Nonetheless there’s something, that would make your extension quite perfect for me. If a page has illustrating images, at the moment they are embedded as an image link to an external source (the original webpage).

I would love to have the option, to have the images downloaded along with the markdown file. The cherry on top would be, if the images’ filenames would be prefixed with the name of the markdown file. So, even if you’d take a look at the file structure (outside of your markdown app), it would be instantly clear what belongs together.

Would you consider implementing this feature?

Cheers,
John

8 Likes

This is definitely something I have been considering.
In looking into it I’ve found that I might be able to put images in a subfolder — so if you download some-page.md the images would go download to some-page/some-image.png (for example). Would that be acceptable to you?

Ooh, or perhaps I could make a configurable “image prefix” so you could opt for {title}/ or something like {title}-image- or whatever.

This is still conceptual at the moment. Still figuring out the how :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

So, I did a bunch of stuff at once and am currently pushing MarkDownload v2.4.0 to the various extension stores.

Changes:

• Fixed typo on options page (thanks Dean Cook)
  • Added option to download images alongside the markdown file
    • Also added the ability to add a prefix to the images you download, so you can, for example, save them in a subfolder
    • If your browser has the option to always show a save as dialog enabled, you might get a dialog for every image. Sorry about that :grimacing:
  • Updated turndown to 7.0.1 and allowed iframes to be kept in the markdown
  • Added a new {pageTitle} option for template replacement (there are many websites where the {title} and {pageTitle} actually differ)
  • Added a context menu option to copy a tab URL as a markdown link, using the title configured in settings as the link title (i.e. [<custom title>](<URL>))
  • Added custom disallowed characters to strip from titles (set to []#^ by default for maximum compatibility with Obsidian)
  • Added some focus styling so you can tell what is focused
  • Auto-focus the download button (you can now alt+shift+M, Enter to quickly download a file)
  • Template title (and image prefixes) now allow forward slashes (/) so that files get saved to a subfolder

Edit: as usual, the Firefox one is live before I’ve even finished uploading the chrome one (and I started uploading the chrome one before firefox!)

11 Likes

Thanks for the update! This is a fantastic and versatile extension. Currently using the Firefox version.

Auto-focus the download button (you can now ctrl+shift+M, Enter to quickly download a file)

Is this hotkey an option that must be enabled? When I try the bolded command in Firefox it simply shows a mobile version of the website, rather than starting MarkDownload.

Whoops, my bad. It’s supposed to be alt+shift+M.
That’s what it’s set to by default, anyway. I believe there might be a way to customise it, but not sure off the top of my head.

1 Like

Wow, that was fast :smiley:
Thank you!

And yes, being able to specify a directory and/or file-prefix for the downloaded images is absolutely fine.

Only thing I noticed so far: If the option “always ask for download directory” is set, the dialog comes up for each and every file. That’s a bit irritating because why would I download each image into a different directory :wink:

Other than that: Thank you! :smiley:

Cheers,
John

Please update link to: “issues and features” on top of your post. Current link is wrong.

Whoops :sweat_smile:
Thanks for pointing it out

I know if your browser is set to open the Save As dialog it will show multiple times, but I thought I’d catered for that using the extension’s option. I’ll have to have another look at it

Well, if there’d be a way to have the browser ask just once for the target directory would be very nice. But I could imagine, that the way an extension is interacting with the browser, won’t offer that much options for handling downloads.

But then again:

I didn’t take a look at the source code. But as a wild guess I’d think, after the markdown file processing, you gather the images, which need to be downloaded. Furthermore I’d wildly guess, that each find triggers a download. At least so it appears.

But maybe the browser API supports getting a list of sources to download. In that case, the markdown file and the image sources would need to find their way on this list, and then the browser would process the downloads in one go.

The only thing that might happen, and I notice that once in a while on web pages, if they trigger multiple downloads: You might get an info box informing you, that multiple files are going to be downloaded, and whether or not you’d like to allow this.

I do hope you don’t mind all this guess work of mine :wink:

Oh, one more thing, because I just noticed it again:

I have my Chrome configured to always ask for the download directory. For me this is more usefull, than dealing with one cluttering default download directory after the fact. Chrome on its own remembers the last used directory. Your extension does not. So you always again have to navigate to your desired target directory. Always starting in the user’s default download directory.

This happens on Windows (10) and MacOS. The switch in your extension for always showing the “save as dialog” doesn’t seem to have any influence on that.

Cheers,
John

1 Like

Thank you for a fantastic job!

Would it be OK to create a target folder for download within the clipper? Same as having a template for a daily note or a ZK note. Having to download and relocate the file creates a lot of friction.