Markdown implementation question: Plus (+) can be used to make bullet lists, does it have any special features?

I was thinking about my friend Patrick’s dash/plus system just now and noticed that a list can be made with either symbol. Are there any features associated with using pluses that are implemented in Obsidian?

They seem to resemble the BuJo type of markings, and I discovered that the Minimal theme does this (and a lot more), see Checklists - Minimal Documentation . I’ve even declared some of my own, making it very easy to track my activities during the day as they got their own checklist marker.

Note that this doesn’t per se use alternating list item indicators, but rather it uses various markers to complete the various tasks, I still think it’s worthwhile if you want to use something like his dash/plus system.

Directly related to your question though, I know that at least -, * and + can be used to start list items. And I reckon/guess it’s just historic reason behinds that, as one could imagine using - to denote cons and + to denote pros directly in written lists, and that the * visually resembles the point the most. (Before unicode characters, and so on).

I don’t know, but I’m a relatively new user of Obsidian, any associated features depending on which character you use to start a list item with.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! That’s a good reference that I hadn’t seen before. I think that both the system that Minimal uses and BuJo were offshoots of Patricks, if I recall correctly.

Changing symbols may start a new list, in which case mixing pluses and minuses in a list will produce multiple lists. Original Markdown says nothing about it but that’s what CommonMark does. Obsidian’s Markdown is ultimately based on CommonMark. The forum appears to follow it:

- foo
- bar
+ baz
  • foo
  • bar
  • baz

Other than that, it’s just personal preference.

1 Like

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.