Make arrows always visible and always folded by default

The arrows indicating a paragraph are not visible when they are open/unfolded. It’s an “issues” because you don’t know what’s a foldable paragraph and what’s not.

Proposed solution:

Make the arrows always visible, both when the paragraph is open or closed, just like in notion.

Also, give an option to always set the arrows as closed after you closed the obsidian app. That would make paragraphs easier to reach. Many times I open a big note and I have to scroll the entire page to reach the part I want to read.

You mean headings right? You can use a css snippet for that:

.heading-collapse-indicator, .cm-fold-indicator .collapse-indicator {
  opacity: 1 !important;
}

You could use the Fold / Unfold all headings and lists commands for that. Give them a hotkey if you want.

No need for that. Use the Core Plugin Outline. You can easily navigate headers through that by clicking on them. You can also easily resort your headers including everything that is part of that header by dragging it to the desired spot in the Outline.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you do these things on mobile?

You can access the command palette either by swiping down or via the button in the bottom right corner.
You can also add commands to the toolbar. Go to Settings -> Mobile

I think the outline should be on your right on mobile. Swipe from right to left to open the right sidebar. You can change the view (E.g.: from Backlinks to Outline) via the button with the 2 arrows pointing away from each other.

Thanks. How do I add that snippet?

In the vault I find the .obsidian folder but I don’t find the “snippets” file as indicated in the settings.

You have to create a file with that snippet in it and name it (E.g.: folding-arrows.css).
That file needs to be placed in the snippets folder that you will find in .obsidian. If it’s not there yet simply create it.
After you’ve done this go to: Settings -> Appearance -> CSS Snippets and toggle it on.

I’ve done it but it still doesn’t find the snippet folder. I tried to reload it and to restart the app.

Am I doing something wrong?

how did you create the .css file? Could be that there is some weird formatting going on from your editor. It has to be plain text.
Could be this problem: https://forum.obsidian.md/t/enable-or-disable-graph-grid/60040/14

But it actually should still find the snippet. Maybe this has something to do with mobile, sorry I don’t use it much.

Ok I solved this. Basically even though I added the “.css” at the end of the file’s name, windows still saw it as a .txt file. So I had to go to the options of the folder → view → and uncheck the “hide known extentions” option. That way I could actually save the file as a .css.

And it works, thanks!

Can I add something else to that snippet you wrote in order to make the arrows always colored with the accent color?

Ah totally forgot about that for a second. Unchecking the hide known extensions option is one of the first things I do these days on windows. It’s ridiculous that it’s not unchecked from the start…
Glad you got it working!

You can add this to the snippet:

.heading-collapse-indicator .svg-icon, .cm-fold-indicator .collapse-indicator .svg-icon {
  color: var(--text-accent) !important;
}
3 Likes

Thanks! I finally can see my sections!

You are awesome, thank you very much for the help!

(obsidian team consider making these arrows always visible by default)

You can post a feature request for this if you like, and if one doesn’t already exist. If one exists, you can upvote it by pressing the heart or adding a comment with new info. (If you find or post one, feel free to let me know so I can upvote it, too.)

Ok, done.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.