MacOS - overriding paste keyboard shortcut to [Ctrl-V] results in PageDown being issued

What I’m trying to do

I use a Mac sometimes, and require remapping the paste command from ⌘-V to Ctrl-V to be productive.

This works for most apps, but it’s known to cause problems sometimes.

For some apps issuing Ctrl-V does not paste at the cursor location. Instead, it issues a Page Down. Strangely, if you are at the last line, it does paste. :person_shrugging:

You can see that I’ve overridden Paste at the OS level, using the preferred method exposed by Apple.

Things I have tried

There is a workaround, which is updating /Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict and adding something like "^v" = noop:; or "^v" = "paste:";

This workaround doesn’t help with Obsidian, although it helps with other apps I use.

Does anyone know the secret incantation? Or do we think this should be submitted as a bug report?

Here’s how I am overriding the paste command via System Settings.

Why do you think ctrl + v is more effective than cmd + v? In general cmd is very effective modifier key because it is located next to space and it is used similarly as space with your left or right thumb. There are some limitations: cmd + x and cmd + z are awkward to produce and in that case ctrl + x and ctrl + z offers better experience.

I don’t know if it should be a bug report or not. Maybe.

I wonder if it might an upstream bug in CodeMirror or Electron. (Whichever handles that part.)

Does your OS override work in Chrome browser, or other Chromium browsers?

A lifetime of using Windows before adding a Macbook into the mix.

Yes @rigmarole Chrome respects the override in textareas. Slack as well.
The test is to attempt to paste into multiline text. If the cursor jumps down a page, or to the end, that is the bad behavior.

1 Like

Would it be then more useful to use fn instead of ctrl?

That’s not a bad idea, but I am usually using an external keyboard that doesn’t have the fn button. I think I’m at the epicenter of strange requirements. :laughing:

1 Like

I think is quite common to remap fn to ctrl to increase productivity since you use shift and ctrl together with cmd to perform various actions (but most often shift and cmd is enough).

I believe that it is still true that Obsidian doesn’t support macOS shortcuts. If they work, they work. If they don’t, they don’t.

Configured macOS custom keyboard shortcuts for Obsidian don’t function in editor but appear activated in menu UI - Bug graveyard - Obsidian Forum

[Bug] Manually created macOS keyboard shortcuts not honored - Bug graveyard - Obsidian Forum

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.