MacOS color picker?

Would it be possible to use the MacOS color picker instead of the built in one? I’ve created color sets for my job, projects, my own stuff etc over the years, and they are easily available in all other MacOS apps, as Keynote, TextEdit, Pages, Numbers, Evernote, Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. But not in Obsidian. Extra annoying that it doesn’t remember that I use hex numbers, so it’s two extra clicks every time to enter a color.

Also: It doesn’t seem to be possible to paste color values. So when I copy a color, say FEEB83 from TextEdit, I can’t seem to paste it in the field on the built in color picker in Obsidian. So I have to type every single color into the picker.

1 Like

Are you talking about on the graph view colours? I get the macOS colour picker:

What version of MacOS?

I’m on Big Sur 11.2.2 and this is what I see. Though I only learned about this feature today, so I can’t compare to before I upgraded.

I’m on Catalina, 10.15.7. Just as a data point.

This is a built in color picker. Some apps do that. Like Adobe Photoshop has it’s own Adobe color picker, which you can turn off in prefs.

But most MacOS apps use Apples color picker. Which looks like this:

I would like Obsidian to use this, as all color swatches you use in one app, is also available in all other apps.

Example: These are the color codes for the interface of Facebook, saved as a set in the Apple Color picker. In the dropdown (now marked “facebook”), you can create lists of color to companies, projects etc.

As Obsidian use their own “home built” color picker, I can’t do that.

And especially with graphs, it’s so important with the right colours.

Really? Which version of the app?

What version of MacOS are you on?

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 1.11.57 PM

Ah ok maybe it’s something new then? I’m on v0.11.9.

And MacOS v10.15.7.

Maybe it’s fixed then. Do you get to the Apple color picker immediately when you click om the colors in “Groups” or do you need to something “extra”?

I’m also on Obsidian v.0.11.12 but on MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 and I don’t get the Apple color picker :woman_shrugging: .

1 Like

Nothing extra, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the picker you have.

It could be related to the installer version (the base .dmg you downloaded). Try uninstalling and reinstalling from a new .dmg on https://obsidian.md.

Has the MacOS color picker feature been removed?

I’m currently getting the one from the above comment rather than the mac one.

Obsidian Version 1.4.16 (Installer 1.4.16)
MacOS Version 14.1