Lyric Scraper

I make a lot of notes about music, and sometimes like to do a little lyrical analysis (though I’m not sure I’m very good at it). To do this, I need the lyrics to the song, obviously. I can of course do this manually, but that requires looking it up myself, then often reformatting them a bit to get rid of random junk and make commenting on them easier.

I want to get the lyrics for a bunch of songs en-masse, so that if I think of something randomly (as I often do), then I can just open Obsidian and jot it down without having to do anything special or go back later and fix it to be how I want. It also means I would be able to quote lyrics wherever I want without having to go through the process first.

I might write a plugin for this myself, because I also have specific things I want from it, lol.

2 Likes

@OreoThePony any progress? been thinking about the same! Even more general perhabs!

I would like to hear if you made any progress, or even wrote something yourself. Lets get those lyrics into our notes!

1 Like

I’d be happy to help

i did briefly experiment with genius’ rest api and obsidian shortly after i first made this post, and i remember being disappointed because i couldn’t figure out how to get the lyrics themselves, only “annotations”. but i just did some quick searching and found this page, which tells how to find the “data url”, and just adds “/lyrics” onto it. i haven’t tested it though. if it works, it would actually be kind of cool to try and do something with the annotations and other metadata as well.

if genius doesn’t work, azlyrics may be less hostile. i can’t find if they have a rest api or not, but there are a few (python-based) azlyrics api projects that came up pretty quickly.

i’m not going to dive into this myself right now (following hyperfixations, lol), but let me know if anything develops or if you want my help or my opinion on something :slight_smile: