Live Preview: Improve support for nested quote blocks

Steps to reproduce

Paste in the following text to Obsidian and see how it is formatted:

>>>Hello,
>>
>>Hello it is nice to meet you.
>>>Could you explain why the sky is blue, please? I have always wondered why it is blue given that light from the sun is not very blue.
>>
>>Yes the sky is blue due to the scattering of blue light by our atmosphere resulting in it being the colour of light which you see when looking at the sky.
>
>Thank you for this explanation. That makes sense. I look forward to discussing other questions I have in the future.

It should be formatted as an easy to read conversation, but unfortunately Obsidian mutilates the result whereas VSCode, this forum’s markdown viewer(!), and commonmark display it perfectly.

This would be super useful to have fixed! :slight_smile: I use this all the time. Thanks so much for considering this bug report and for developing Obsidian. It is an excellent app.

Expected result

According to the commonmark spec JS library:

https://spec.commonmark.org/dingus/?text=>>>Hello%2C >> >>Hello%20it%20is%20nice%20to%20meet%20you. >>>Could%20you%20explain%20why%20the%20sky%20is%20blue%2C%20please%3F%20I%20have%20always%20wondered%20why%20it%20is%20blue%20given%20that%20light%20from%20the%20sun%20is%20not%20very%20blue. >> >>Yes%20the%20sky%20is%20blue%20due%20to%20the%20scattering%20of%20blue%20light%20by%20our%20atmosphere%20resulting%20in%20it%20being%20the%20colour%20of%20light%20which%20you%20see%20when%20looking%20at%20the%20sky. > >Thank%20you%20for%20this%20explanation.%20That%20makes%20sense.%20I%20look%20forward%20to%20discussing%20other%20questions%20I%20have%20in%20the%20future.

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: Ubuntu Linux 22.04
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.15.9
    Installer version: v0.14.15
    Operating system: #54-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 26 13:26:29 UTC 2022 5.15.0-48-generic
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 3
    Plugins enabled: 2
    1: Share as Gist v1.1.0
    2: Multi-cursor v0.0.3

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Well the reader works fine. This is a problem in LP. Renamed and Moved to FR.

1 Like

Steps to reproduce

1. Have Live Preview mode on.
  2. Enter the following text.

> This is a blockquote.
>
> > This is a nested blockquote.
> > It looks fines with multiple short lines separates by a linebreak.
>
> > When a line is too long inside a nested blockquote, it wraps around, and that’s where you see the little nested blockquote’s left-hand rule be too short. It doesn’t take the wrapping into account.
>
> Hopefully an easy fix! 

Expected result

The second nested block quote has a left-hand rule going all the way down like the first nested block quote.

Actual result

The left-hand rule of the second nested block quote doesn’t take the line wrapping into account.

1 Like

It looks like your expected result when I try this. Thus no bug but probably plugin-related (I would have said: theme-related, but you say you aren’t using any alternative theme or snippets…).

Maybe also a problem of your not up-to-date installer version. Independently of your problem, I would advise to update your installer version!

will be implemented in 0.16.4

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.