Live preivew keeps turning itself ont

Steps to reproduce

Turn live preview off. Use obsidian. Randomly discover live preview on again.

Expected result

Should stay in edit mode with live preview off if I set it that way.

Actual result

For no noticeable reason, live preview is on again when I haven’t changed view settings but was just typing / adding files / etc.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.15.6
    Installer version: v0.12.19
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 19.6.0: Tue Aug 24 20:28:00 PDT 2021; root:xnu-6153.141.40~1/RELEASE_X86_64 19.6.0
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: California Coast
    Snippets enabled: 1
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 4
    Plugins enabled: 4
    1: Calendar
    2: Cross-reference Navigation
    3: Longform
    4: Templater

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Your installer version is quite old, and could cause this maybe.
You might want to update your installer.
Just download a new version from the website, no need to uninstall the old one.
(Installer updates are sometimes necessary to update some dependencies and are noted in the changelog)

Enter in restricted mode, disable themes, then post a screen recording of this happening.

I’ll give that a try and see if it helps, thanks!

No offense, but it’s intermittent and I’m just not going to take 5-10-15 minute screen recordings to try to catch it happening. If updating the installer doesn’t help I’ll see if it still happens in restricted with no themes, though.

I found a way to reproduce the issue, although this definitely isn’t the only time it occurs. If I have live preview turned off, then open an image, then go back to a .md file, live preview has been turned on. Here is a screen recording showing it happening and below is my updated debug info after grabbing the new installer and making this happen in restricted mode / default dark mode theme.

Edit: also just noticed the “live preview on” line in the debug info. This is present whether I have it turned off or not. I have been turning it off through the three dot menu on the top right of an open MD file. If relevant, I typically have my graph open in one pane and a md file in the other pane, plus the explorer view.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.8
Installer version: v0.15.8
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 19.6.0: Tue Aug 24 20:28:00 PDT 2021; root:xnu-6153.141.40~1/RELEASE_X86_64 19.6.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.

This is not a bug. Turning it off from the ... is temporary and per pane. If you want to turn it off permanently there is toggle in the settings.

I just looked for an option to disable it and the closest thing I could find was the ‘default editor mode’ option, which I have now set to source mode. Is that what you were referring to?

In any case, I’d still consider it a bug that it resets itself when I view an image in the same pane. I’m not opening a new pane, just opening an image file, then another markdown file in the same pane.

yes

The pane editor’s state is lost because you open an image and image hasn’t editor view associated with it.

If you would like any other behavior, open a FR