List of apps that support [[internal links]]?

A single developer side project?
Free for 7 days then $16.99 for one year of updates?
Notes have to be exported to separate markdown notes. Maybe json database?

Has many similar features to Obsidian without the graphs and community. Has wysiwyg.

Might be very good, but there’s not enough showing to make me try it.

1 Like

Does not have transclusions either. Backlinks?

Says links are bidirectional

Notebag doesn’t seem to do anything you can’t do with FSNotes or Bear?

Cross platform

Notebag does fuzzy search and instant preview, Obs does not. However, those 2 features are on the road map and will come. After that Obs is superior in every aspect.

I’m speaking as a simpleton. It looks like Typora but with internal references.

For the mere sake of convenience, I do appreciate instant preview very much, as with Typora, which does have a code preview portion anyway, so there’s no telling that isnt the case with notebag (might even be ahead of Typora in some respects, for all I know).

I think its fair to point out the tags and links portion is a big deal considering its not very easy to find convenient looking editors with this functionality which are marginally low cost for long term use. Obsidian stands out, in part, because of this functionality.

It stands out even further, imo, thanks to transclusions, but the transclusion thing is really a cherry on top for me, something notebag doesn’t seem to have, or atm, but I’m looking at similar editors (those with internal reference) when I say this and its not looking like a big class rn.

1 Like

I agree with your comments about Typora, and I’m looking forward to the day WYSIWYG/WYSIWYM is released.

For me transclusion is not just a cherry on top, a nice to have but not essential, it has become an essential part of my zettelkasten work.

And I don’t blame you.

For me, transclusions open up quite a bit of room for me to be creative with my notes. And imagine Obsidian having export/print to pdf feature along with it. Its so exciting.

Personally, I can manage with links/tags if I didn’t have transclusions, but transclusions just make it all the more fun.

1 Like

Yes, an export feature is absolutely essential. I think it’s on the roadmap.

1 Like

Of these apps that support internal links, which ones support Obsidian-style display text like so: [[linked page|display text]]?

The Android apps I’ve seen that support display text (like Markor) support it in the standard way, like this: [[display text|linked page]]. That syntax makes my links unusable if accessing from mobile, or any app in the future using the latter format (not that I’d move from Obsidian lol but you know, longevity). Thinking the mobile Obsidian app will solve this, but that’s vendor lock-in for this link format.

Sure, I could write a script to convert between the two formats easily, but that seems to be a bit much.

Note that this works if your notes are at the same level, not if they’re organized within subdirectories.

If you try referencing a file in subdirectory/note1 outside of that subdirectory, it’ll create a new note at the current level instead of following the link to within the subdirectory.

Not live yet, but GitJournal will support it very soon:

Thanks for posting about this in the Discord, @jarodise.

9 Likes

@Silver, look who’s been monitoring the competition. :blush:

@Luhmann, there are tons of them: QOwnNotes, Sublime ZK, Sublimeless ZK etc.

1 Like

Good catch, @input_sh. Atom definitely doesn’t have a built-in concept of universal ids for notes, and the wikilink’s path syntax might not be what everyone expects.

I just tested it and can link between subdirectories if the path in the [[ ]] starts with a .. (So the paths are “absolute” from the start point of your main note folder, not “absolute” based on your drive.)

To put it differently, let’s say we have a file structure like:

So_Many_Notes
└─ NotesA
  └─ NoteA01
└─ NotesB
  └─ NoteB01

If you add a . at the beginning of the wikilink path, you can reference files in folder NotesB from NotesA. So if you’re writing in file NoteA01, you’d type [[./NotesB/NoteB01]] to link to file NoteB01.

It’s not necessarily elegant, but it works! :grin:

There is also Dendron, VS Code extension, in association with other wiki-links extensions.
Between zettelkasten and hierarchical structures …
But I found it difficult to handle.
And I can’t work the literary writing on VS Code.
I prefer the more uncluttered Obsidian interface.

1 Like