[Linux, Windows] app.json and appearance.json files acting up - changes saved out not respected upon relaunch

Steps to reproduce

Open Sandbox vault, make changes to font size and fold heading/indent. (Optional: check personal vault changes in GitHub Desktop; changes are recorded in git.)
Relaunch Obsidian (personal or Sandbox vault) and find that the changes in question are not honoured.

Expected result

Changes in settings stick to future sessions.

Actual result

Changes are not saved, regardless of changes seen in git.

Questions

Are changes being overwritten from data in Obsidian’s home installation folder?
Is the bug also happening in Windows and iOS environments?

Environment

• Operating system:

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 with the latest Obs. version (1.1.16).

• Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.16
Installer version: v1.1.15
Operating system: #74~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 22 14:52:34 UTC 2023 5.15.0-67-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

In the following screencast, I change the font to 15 from 16 and disable folding in vain.

EDIT:
A next-day restart of Ubuntu greeted me with the app.json file changed (I did not bother changing the font size before singing off for the day):

Do you see the pop-up in the upper right corner?

Yeah, force of habit…
…one must always use the Sandbox to reproduce.

But you gotta hand it to me: the change made to zoom (from 100 percent to 91 percent) did stick.

Believe me, the personal vault is acting up.

for the personal vault, check if you have write permissions and that the files are really there in case you put the vault in cloud synced directory.

I am using Ubuntu’s Home folder; permissions are fine. I did not even dare to use my vault files from the Windows partition (I do access my WIN storage with Zotero, though).

Funny thing is, I cannot reproduce the above in one Danny Hatcher’s demo vault I downloaded a while back. All changes stuck as required. I did it twice.
In my personal vault, the problems persist.
Strange, indeed.

I was playing around trying to find out what is causing this.

Seems like my app.json and appearance.json files are acting up (on Windows as well).
Disabling some snippets also ended up being re-enabled upon relaunch and themes default back to my preferred Blue Topaz (if I changed it to the Obsidian pre-built theme, for instance).

I tried simply deleting the two json files. Which prompts the question: where do the two files default back from if there aren’t any to read from the .obsidian (in my case: .pc) folder on launch? Somewhere in the Obsidian installation directory (.var/md.obsidian.Obsidian/config/Obsidian/)?

You can see in the video what’s happening through changes in GitHub Desktop:

While on Windows, I renamed the .pc folder to .obsidian, but it didn’t make any difference.

I deleted my last post because it wasn’t a theme making problems.
It was the Workspaces Plus plugin. Deactivating it made my issues go away.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.