Linux middle-click paste is problematic and needs to be automatically disabled

Note that the response to the issue I reported is definitely not to disable middle click pasting, since it’s a perfectly fine feature of all Linux distributions (I know I would get annoyed if middle-click pasting would stop working in Obsidian all together).
Preventing a random paste in the page content when closing an unrelated tab is a much better solution imo.

8 Likes

head over here and like

3 Likes

I am a Linux and Obsidian user. Middle clicking to paste the clipboard is a feature that I use frequently and disabling it is not a feasible option for me.

I think the comparison to chrome/firefox/vscode/any-text-editor-with-tabs is apt - none of them paste the clipboard when middle clicking to close a tab.
I understand that Obsidian uses middle click to open links in a new tab. I would be perfectly happy to disable middle click functionality for that and open new tabs with ctrl+right_click. I don’t know if there are any other interactions with middle click in obsidian.

My ideal solution to this issue would be one where

• I can use middle click to paste text into a document
  • I can use middle click to close tabs and no text gets inadvertently pasted into an open document
  • I can use ctrl+click to open links in new tabs instead of using middle click.
7 Likes

The middle-click/clipboard paste will be reworked in 1.0.4.

13 Likes

Love to hear this! Thanks for putting in the work <3

2 Likes

@WhiteNoise :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

I would absolutely hate this. Opening notes in a new tab using middle-click is strictly essential for a lot of people.

3 Likes

should be fixed in v1.1

2 Likes

Middle-click is used to navigate in the new canvas feature, but collides with text paste.
This results in a bunch of clipboard text in your canvas when navigating.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.