[[Linking Your Thinking]] Resources

Will compile any helpful LYT resources here.

LYT Kit on the forum

Videos

Obsidian for Complete Beginners

Obsidian Updates

LYT Essays

Forum Articles

General
MOCs
Evergreen Notes

83 Likes

Hey Nick, really enjoying your video series - I’m amazed and incredibly grateful about how this community has grown over the past few months. Keep up the awesome work👊

6 Likes

You’re very welcome. Just updated the original post with a few more curated videos.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your in-depth and very practical & pragmatic materials! I’m diving in deep and implementing as we speak :slight_smile:

One quick feedback thing. While watching your Youtube beginners video’s, I saw sections called 000 Home and Start Here.

However, these sections are missing in the LYT starter kit I downloaded by following the link off this forum.

If needed, I can provide a screenshot of the file structure or anything, if it helps.

For the rest: keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yikes, those notes shouldn’t be missing! Can you share a screenshot?

1 Like

Hi @nickmilo I was wondering about the following:
I see you start notes often with a h1 (logically I’d say) and after that in many cases you use h3 So I would be interested to know your criteria for using h1, h2, h3, h4 etc. Thanks.

Here are my informal conventions:

For most notes:

• H1 header at the top (I believe in having it “in-note”)
  • Skip H2.
  • Use H3 as the main header.
  • Sometimes use H4 as a subheader.
  • Usually never use H5.
  • Use H6 in some random ways I can’t really describe.

Why skip H2 usually? I like to:

• keep it handy to organize my H3’s if the need arises
  • save it for the bottom of some longer notes to denote “extra stuff”.

This is a an example of the latter:

9 Likes

Terrific. Thanks for your explanation. This is really helpful!

1 Like

I think it’s time to seriously learn about how to use Obsidian.

1 Like

Thank you Nick, I’ve watched many of your videos (and many from others). I’m using Obsidian now to not only organize my thoughts, notes, inspirations, but in fact the primary use case for me was the story I’m writing. After trying every mind mapping app out there over the years and finding no real eureka moments I was very excited to discover Obsidian (I really had no idea of all the PKM software out there).

So, to my point, I love to solve problems visually. Our brains are so adept at actually seeing and intuiting categorizations and linkages, so the graphing function of Obsidian blew my mind. Such possibilities!

However, it seems mostly eye candy as far as usefulness. I have gotten into filtering and coloring and that makes it much better, but I still feel there must be more that can be done to tease out the gems of inspiration. Although sometimes beautiful, merely seeing the size of the hair-ball isn’t enough, seeing all those connections isn’t really helpful and poking around is less than efficient (I can only imagine when I have hundreds or thousands of notes in there, which I do intend to).

Off the top of my head it seems that a more open ended filtering system (perhaps not unlike data view) applied to the graph would allow a user to see his data and connections in unique ways. I can imagine a yaml variable set as a type of importance, for example, and sorted for, and the graph dot sized accordingly. This is perhaps a simplistic example, but I am searching for some way to see those eureka moments.

Obsidian is still pre 1.0 so I’m not being critical. Just the opposite, I think it’s amazing and such an open system where anything is possible. Any insights in this direction would be very appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the message. I’d encourage us to think about what we’re trying to accomplish in the graph view. These tools can do a lot, but we are still needed to do most of the thinking… “What notes need developing, how are those notes connected to each other, what notes need more connecting?”

And that’s just a general scenario.

Often, there will be more intentional prompts, “Since I’m writing about XYZ, what notes do I have that relate to it, how do they relate, what are their relationships showing me?”

3 Likes

Hi @nickmilo

I’ve watched all your stuff (I think) and joined your wait list for your course.

But one thing I just haven’t been able to uncover is how you use the daily note. Peripherally it seems like you do use them, but they are never directly referenced in your videos.

Do use them for scratching/quick notes, tasks, daily plans, initial notes and thoughts for later migration or all of the above? I did notice form another post that you may have several “daily notes”.

Maybe the topic is too rudimentary but I’d be interested to see how you work out if the daily note if at all.

Many thanks for the contributions.

3 Likes

Hi @nickmilo

I’ve been watching your videos and the content is awesome!

I read through the LYT Kit, and I was wondering if you could share your thoughts on when to use Bins and when to use Spaces. Based on your content, I’d think the four main folders would be categorized as:

• Bins: all the archived / reference material that’s not from an external source and the evergreen notes you create
  • Sources: all the info you collect from external sources (books, articles, etc)
  • Spaces: the active projects you have going on (working on a newsletter, a blog, etc)
  • Timestamps: every post that is uniquely associated with a date (meeting minutes, daily notes, etc)

Would that be a correct assessment or did I completely miss the mark?

2 Likes

How much is the price for the course? I asked on 12th July the same question, but it seems that the chat from https://www.linkingyourthinking.com/ is a big joke.

Hey Mafsi, it’s not cheap, still figuring out the price for the Aug 31st cohort. Among everything that is Life, it sounds like I let your inquiry on the website fall through the cracks. Oh well, hope this helps enough, if not, then oh well, stay tuned for when it will be actually announced.

Also, I’m very careful with not accepting everybody into the workshop to preserve the kind, giving ethos that permeates through both the Obsidian and LYT communities…

3 Likes

Hey @retgits you basically nailed it. A few extra guidelines I have for myself:

• Sources: essentially has zero online articles, but it does have books, movies, plays, songs, poems, and research papers. Online article-saving can quickly get out of hand.
  • Spaces: It’s a bit broader than just active projects…it could have sub-folders of entire business endeavors you are working on…if you have shared vaults, Spaces is a great folder to place a sub-folder that you can confidently share publicly without sharing any other private notes…for high level planning or other ambiguous but important ‘spaces’ in life, you might consider putting a sub-folder for it under Spaces.

Of course there are a lot of considerations to all of this but just wanted to add some commentary.

3 Likes