Linking to a forum topic with just title

I am embarrassed that I cannot figure out how to simply link to a topic in the forum with just the title (no inclusion of content from that topic). I know how to quote and how to use the link function that includes content, but cannot figure this out and want to reduce my big clunky link boxes to a simple title link ASAP.

Information about how to learn to better use the forum would be appreciated. I went to a site on Discourse, but could not find what I was looking for. I remember there being something about a tutorial, and could use that right about now. Thanks for your help.

I usually just copy the link and put it into a new post using the standard markdown link format:

[display text](URL)

which resolves to the clickable display text. Gets to the same point as clicking the link tool in the edit box and filing in the two fields.

1 Like

Far as I can tell, if you include a link on its own line, like this:
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/linking-to-a-forum-topic-with-just-title/7001?u=ryanjamurphy
…it renders a preview, like this:

But if you paste a link inline with other text, like this (https://forum.obsidian.md/t/linking-to-a-forum-topic-with-just-title/7001?u=ryanjamurphy), it renders the link into a preview of the title only.

…at least, that’s what I thought, but it’s not working. Hmm…

Edit: a test. Linking to a forum topic with just title

1 Like

(Linking to a forum topic with just title)

Works for me.

1 Like

Thanks. You were both right. When I put the link inline without starting a new line (even if link starts new line itself for lack of space), it only shows link name. But, I found that in this case the parentheses are not needed and perhaps that causes the issue.

The markdown link format also works like a charm. It is very good to know I can do that. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Aha, thanks—I just had to hit publish on my test. The “full” link preview renders in the post preview, but link names don’t render until you publish the post. Good to know!

1 Like

@ryanjamurphy

If memory still works for me, in one of your posts (EDIT: yes, the very well ⊗), you used bookmarks/anchors (footnote-ish) which if clicked allow jumping to another location within the same post. Would you mind sharing how-to?

1 Like

Tedious effort, ha. I used this:

Discourse has a Footnote plugin, but it is not enabled here, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: Thank you!

1 Like