Linked Preview Pane does not stay in sync when typing past the fold

Steps to reproduce

1. Open a file in the editor.
  2. Open a linked Preview Pane.
  3. Type so you are adding lines to the bottom of the file, past the fold, requiring the editor pane to scroll to display the current location/edits.

Expected result

Linked Preview Pane scrolls to stay in sync with Editor Pane.

Actual result

Linked Preview Pane scrollbar extends, but Linked Preview Pane does not scroll to put the current location/edits into view.

Environment

• Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.5
  • Using custom CSS: No.

Additional information

1 Like

I seem to have bumped into the same bug again and have a better idea of what’s actually happening.

The problem seems to be a result of the Editor being able to hold more of the information than the Preview Pane by virtue of not having to format it. The Linked Preview Pane seems to match its top location to the top of the Editor Pane. That makes sense but it makes some of the Linked Preview Pane content at the bottom inaccessible without focusing on the Preview Pane and scrolling it manually.

Having the Preview Pane focus on the bottom of the Editor Pane would recreate the problem at the top of the file. Having it focus in the middle would be better, but would also recreate the problem under certain circumstances.

I had the idea that if the editor could keep scrolling past the end of the file, it would allow the Linked Preview Pane to keep going. (As a nice side effect, it would allow the editing of the bottom of a file to be done in the middle of the window rather than the bottom.)

Anyway, here’s another way to reproduce the problem:

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a page with a long table. (Mine has 3 columns, ~200 rows. Has to be long enough for Editor Pane to be scroll-able.)
  2. Open a Linked Preview Pane.
  3. In the Edit Pane, put focus at the top of the file, scroll to the bottom of the file.

Expected result

Linked Preview Pane view is scrolled to the bottom/includes information from the bottom of the file.

Actual result

Linked Preview Pane stops short with no way to keep going.

1 Like

We added a half blank page to the editor a while back. If think that this is still a big issue, opena feature request to aligh to the middle page instead of top .