Link workflow

This is a stupid newbie question, but I’m trying to figure out how best to link my thinking in Obsidian.

My default process is to type something, realize (before or after I type it) that I want to link it to somewhere else, select it, and hit the “internal link (‘[]’)” button (I’m on iPad if that matters). But…that doesn’t do what I expect. It doesn’t pop up a dialog allowing me to choose what I want to link to; it just puts brackets around it so that if I select it it will create a new note with that title. So I have to move the insertion point to the beginning of the now-bracketed text, hit the Pipe (‘|’) key, move the insertion point before that, and start typing the title of what I want to link. Then the dialog I wanted pops up. It’s even worse if I want to link to a paragraph within the linked document, as I now have to move the insertion point back to the end of the linked document title and hit “^”.

This is…cumbersome to say the least. So I presume I’m doing it wrong and others have a better way. What’s your workflow for linking your thinking in Obsidian?

1 Like

Mostly I avoid using the pipe, sometimes even at the expense of a slightly more awkward sentence. When I want to use the pipe I run into the problem you describe, except that it hadn’t occurred to me to put the pipe in first (I’d just move the cursor and start typing, and then if I use autocomplete it destroys the existing text).

The only thing I can think of to speed the process is to use Opt left arrow, which only works if you’re using an external keyboard.

So I think you’re doing it about as well as can be (but I’d love to be wrong).

1 Like

Ugh. I hope not.

I mean, the other way is to put the link in first; that still involves some moving around of the insertion point, but much less far, to put in the carat, the pipe, and then the text. But I’m afraid if I do that, I’ll forget just what I was going to write.

There’s gotta be a better way. Sounds like a feature request.

And someone has already made it: Ability to select text and convert it into an internal link

1 Like

Yeah, I sometimes input the whole link before the text, with a pipe at the end, and then move the text into the link. I’d definitely like a smoother process.

1 Like

There is a plugin that does this: obsidian://show-plugin?id=obsidian-better-internal-link-inserter.

1 Like

That link isn’t working for me on iPad — no error, it just doesn’t respond at all. (I found the plugin manually.)

Crap, you’re right. That’s irritating. Fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.