Link two sections within a note

I’m not sure if this type of thing exists, or if there is a neater way of doing it, but what I’m trying to figure out is if it is possible to link sections within the same note together.
I have a long note that contains all of the notes and quotes from a book I read. There is some pieces early on in the note that link quite closely to some pieces at the end of the note. I was hoping to find some way to connect them together within obsidian without having to create a separate note for it.
Does anyone know a way to do this?

1 Like

Yes, you use a link format like this:

[[Notes About Apples#Notes About Peeling]]

Assuming your note is called “Notes About Apples” and you have a heading ## Notes About Peeling. You type [[ to begin adding a link. You use # after the link, to get auto-complete suggestions for headings in the linked document. Any heading level should work.

Clicking this link will jump to that particular heading in your document. You can also use this to create a custom table of contents.

But this works for linking to headings in other documents too. Not just the current document.

notesaboutapples

NOTE: If you don’t see this, make sure to update Obsidian, or mention which version you are using.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much :smiley:

super useful, thank you!

Just in case it’s useful to you too, I found that if you’re linking to something on the same page, then you can skip the page name within the [[]]. For example, instead of [[page#topic]], you can just do [[#topic]].

7 Likes

Thank you, that is really helpful and will be used!

I was looking for exactly this! The link will be shorter and thus look a bit prettier—I think.
Thank you!