Link to heading not possible after the first 12 H1 headings

Steps to reproduce

Create a file with 13 H1 headings. From a different file, try to create an internal link [[filename#heading13]]. The 13th heading does not show up in the dropdown. If I just keep typing and write the entire [[filename#heading13]] by hand (not using dropdown suggestions), clicking on it won’t bring me to the correct heading.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y]

Expected result

Clicking on the internal link to the heading should bring me to the heading.

Actual result

It goes to the linked file but does not bring me to the heading.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.4
Installer version: v1.3.7
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.3.0: Thu Jan 5 20:53:49 PST 2023; root:xnu-8792.81.2~2/RELEASE_X86_64 22.3.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Minimal v7.2.1
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

Additional information

I found in a bug graveyard a statement that I should be able to find more heading suggestions if I keep typing. But that is not what happened.

I couldn’t reproduce that on my iPad (I’m on the public release, not Insider).

1 Like

Thank you @CawlinTeffid for trying to reproduce this. Your reply was extremely helpful because I thought it had definitely to do with the number 13 because when I moved it in front of 12 it worked. However, with the information provided by you, I found the source of the problem. It is not really a bug but it feels like an important issue:

The problem is that I had a formula like this in the section under heading 12.

The problem goes away if I do this:

I.e., if I do not leave any space between the symbols $$ and the equation. It does not lead to any problem with live preview, so it was hard for me to realise this.

In any case, I don’t know if I should close this problem because it is now resolved. I do hope that the fact that a problem arises when the symbols $$ do not touch the equation should lead to a warning or something in the live preview.

Yeah, I think that’s better posted as a separate feature request (if one doesn’t exist already). I’d recommend checking the documentation first to see if it is clear about the issue.

I’m glad you found the cause of the problem!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.