Link to external files

Hi,

Is there a way to create links to files outside the obsidian directory, particularly where the path contains spaces?

So far I can get such links to work using [readable name](file://path-here) but the link doesn’t render in preview and is only clickable in editor mode. Simply using file://path-here doesn’t render as a link or work in the editor.

This looks like I might be trying to achieve the same as the OP of this graveyarded bug and would be related to this post as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Loving Obsidian so far but this would be really useful for my job and I’m sure others would find it to be too.

Cheers
Ave54

EDIT: I have resolved my own issue. Discovered within the format help doc that you can escape spaces in links by enclosing it in <> (in much the same way as windows uses “” to enclose file paths with spaces).

Therefore it is possible to use a markdown link to link to external files like so: [pretty filename](<file:///path to file with spaces.extension>) which will create a clickable link in preview titled “pretty filename”.

Note that the link doesn’t work in editor mode (ctrl + click registers it as a link but opens a windows dialog “you’ll need a new app to open this app link”. I assume this is a bug.

1 Like

I found the most reliable way to do links is to do a fully converted webbrowser style URI. In this, spaces become %20. There is no easy way to type such a link, but I found and adapted a Windows shell extension so I can send any file to the clipboard as a pastable Obsidian link.

I can post C# source code later. Could also post a binary program, but I don’t know right ways to do that.