Line breaks within bulleted list items no longer indented

Steps to reproduce

1. Update Obsidian to v1.5.3
  2. Create a bulleted list item with some text
  3. Use Shift + Enter to create a line break in the list item and type some more text
  4. Observe that the new paragraph created is not indented

The text was indented correctly prior to the 1.5.3 update.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I put my vault into restricted mode and disabled my custom theme and CSS snippets.

Expected result

I’d expect that subsequent paragraphs within a bulleted list item would be indented the same amount as the first paragraph.

Actual result

Subsequent paragraphs within a bulleted list item are not indented the same amount as the first paragraph:

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.3
	Installer version: v1.4.13
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.0.0: Fri Sep 15 14:42:57 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.1.13~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8112 23.0.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: insider
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: light
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none
5 Likes

I can repro in the Sandbox Vault (no plugin/default theme/no css snippet) :thinking:

And the thing is that the indentation (using Shift + Enter after a list item) appears as correct in Reading but not in Live Preview.

This is the list I’ve used while testing this:

List items:
- Item 1
  The description of Item 1
- Item 2
  The description of Item 2

Here’s a small screen recording from the Sandbox vault too :blush: :
(Live Preview is on the left and Reading on the right)

Shit + Enter in lists

There also seem to be a strange white space issue before the bullets of each item in the list when one adds a soft line break (Shift + Enter) at the end :sweat_smile: (not sure how to describe this)…
I mean, it looks like there’s an extra space added before the bullet in this case…

If I place my cursor just at the start of the line, the space between the cursor and the actual bullet next to seems a bit strange to me (kind of looking like a tab… where there’s none)

And that “extra” space doesn’t appear when I place my cursor at the beginning of a line in a simple list (with no added Shift + Enter soft line break)

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.3
	Installer version: v1.4.13
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Thu Jul  6 22:12:47 PDT 2023; root:xnu-7195.141.49.702.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: supporter
	Insider build toggle: on
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 0
	Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none
1 Like

Thanks, as I replied on discord, we are aware of these. It’s hard to get lists in LP right. When we adjust one thing something else breaks. I hope we can do better in the future.

6 Likes

this should be better in 1.5.5

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.