Likely origin of the Obsidian icon

I think I may have stumbled across the origin of the Obsidian icon. Among the items in a 2018 “Role Playing” icon set by Chanut is Industries I was surprised to spot an icon that looks very familiar. (It’s called, appropriately enough, “Crystal Shard Icon.”) If you reduce its height by about 1/3 and adjust the color, it’s spot on.

Chanut is Industries licenses it under a Creative Commons license (CC BY 3.0), so obviously it’s fine for Obsidian to use it, but I do wonder where the required attribution statement is (or where it should be placed if it doesn’t exist yet). Does anyone know?

8 Likes

Interesting find!

Though I don’t think we can rule out the possibility that both icons were repurposed from a different permissively-licensed work.

Personally, I’m 50/50 on whether the shard icon was stretched vertically from some other original rather than designed from scratch. Then again, maybe the Obsidian icon’s proportions just look more “correct” to me.

Spent a few minutes looking for where Obsidian might list its various open source attributions, but couldn’t find it, so I second this question!

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t get to reply yesterday! Was busy with setting up Obsidian October stuff.

Yes, that’s where we adapted our logo from!

Just added attribution to this icon, plus the open source libraries used by Obsidian on the credits page on our official help docs: https://help.obsidian.md/Obsidian/Credits#Third+party+acknowledgements Should have done this a long time ago. Really sorry!

7 Likes

Awesome! I was quite surprised to just stumble upon it randomly, but the resemblance was to exact to be a coincidence. Kinda neat to now know its “origin story” in a sense! And glad to see the credits page refreshed accordingly, too. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.