Latex - Dynamically sized parenthesis

Hey !

What I’m trying to do

I’m trying to use parenthesis in Latex that automatically size up or down depending on what I put inside them, instead of having to use \bigg or commands like that, which feel very stupid to use in a language as smart as Latex. It sounds like a very basic thing but I haven’t found any way to do that in Obsidian.

Things I have tried

I have tried using \left( and \right) which should just do that automatically (from what I gathered). Please keep in mind that I literally started using Latex and Obsidian yesterday, but I’m pretty sure it should work, right ? Do I need to be in a certain environment ?

If not, I’m very confused about why and how I can know which Latex features are supported and which aren’t… Is there any documentation about the Latex implementation ?

Thanks ! :slight_smile:

There’s a much simpler alternative language to Latex named Asciimath, and I use it with the plugin Obsidian Asciimath, which automatically sizes parentheses based on what is within them:

Screenshot-09_01_2024-01.28.26

2 Likes

\left( and \right( works good.

Example

$$
\left( \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{\left( 3 \right)} \right)
$$

Your case

Please show your case
(Use backticks ` to paste code in forum)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.