Large markdown table causes slowness

Steps to reproduce

Make a new note, and paste in this large markdown table:

maybe of note: there are special characters in this table, like ~,+,-,(,),*, etc

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? Yes

Expected result

Be able to type words/letters outside of the table inside this note, without it being slow and choppy.

Actual result

holding the d key (so it repeats…) is visibly stuttering and slow to render the new character. This ofc happens when typing actual words as well. You can see the stutter in the dev tools profile inspector; but im unable to save a trace (giving me an error:

((Failed to save timeline: The request is not allowed by the user agent or the platform in the current context. (NotAllowedError)) but that’s another issue…

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.8
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 2 (no idea where these come from, the css snippets in the menu are all turned off)
Restricted mode: on

Additional information

sample screenshot of the profiler, below this note is just the table i mentioned.
holding down the d key…

If you need any more from me let me know. This should be really easy to reproduce.

2 Likes

This is happening during Live-Preview btw, if you enter source mode it’s responsive again…

I can’t reproduce. Download and reinstall Obsidian, and let me know if this is fixed when you get 1.5.11

Reinstalled but no luck there, having the same behavior as I reported above.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.8
Installer version: v1.5.8
Base theme: adapt to system
Snippets enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

I’ll wait for 1.5.11 to release and will update this thread with the findings.

Thanks for looking into into it. Strange it’s not reproducible as I can reliably get it from the sandbox vault also after reinstalling Obsidian, can’t think of anything on my machine that can interfere here but i’ll look around; I’ll attempt the same steps from another machine sometime later.

Tried on my partner’s laptop (still Windows) which never had Obsidian installed before; was able to get the same behavior. If the note has this table pasted into it, and you want to write text somewhere in this note whilst in live-preview mode, it becomes slow. If you hold down a key to repeat the character constantly, it’s visibly slow to put the characters in the note-- to the point that after a while if you release the key, Obsidian is still adding more letters trying to catch back up.

I’ll try again in 1.5.11, hope this has coincidentally been fixed.

Thanks, let me know

is this working?

Hello

Tried again

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.11
Installer version: v1.5.8
Base theme: adapt to system
Snippets enabled: 0

unfortunately still pretty horrible performance when doing the same in a sandbox vault, with Live Preview editing mode.

again copy-pasted the table from the initial pastebin into a note in the sandbox vault, holding down a key to start inputting text, the performance is such that obsidian cannot keep up with rendering the character on screen, after releasing the the button it takes a second or 3 for it to finish up.

if i do this in Source Mode, it’s not slow/choppy anymore

suspect something in the way the markdown table is rendered is causing this?

ok now I can reproduce this.

Chiming in to say this issue is also affecting me.

I have a large table of 100+ rows, 5 columns, many lines (if not paragraphs) of text, and many links along with text formatting. This amount & richness of data in a longer table seems to lead to massive lag in live preview mode. The lag also has its notable quirks though:

1. After switching from reading mode to live preview, the table takes like a minute (that is: 60+ seconds) to “compile”: An horizontal scrolling bar appears at the top of the table, and stays there for a (bothersome) while. After that initial load is done, I can switch between live preview and reading mode like normal, with no load time for the table.
  2. After that initial load, when working on the actual table in live preview, there’s massive lag when trying to input text on its fields. I will click a field, input a character, and the table will freeze for 30-60 seconds. Sometimes it will not wake up from that freeze, and Obsidian will just freeze (with the only viable solution thus being restarting the entire app).
  3. The more data I add, the less responsive the table becomes, and the more “processing power” seems to be required to properly “compile” it in live preview mode. My table has been getting progressively slower, and now, while it takes ~60 seconds for my M2 Macbook Air to fully “load” the table on live preview, an older (but still super functional) Haswell generation Office PC I have just crashes after switching to live preview and trying to load the table

I hope this issue is addressed sooner rather than later. Long, data-rich tables are also a part of the bread and butter of note-taking.

1 Like

This is exactly the reason why I think Obsidian should incorporate the DataLoom plugin, which can handle large and complex tables efficiently.

This would be such a game changer.