Laggy Typing

Steps to reproduce

Start typing in any file, any vault (including sandbox).

Expected result

Snappy typing

Actual result

Very bad stuttering. Gets worst the faster I type

Environment

• Operating system: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition)
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.0.3
    Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Dec 21 18:33:23 UTC 2022 6.0.15-300.fc37.x86_64
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

Additional information

The bigger the file the worst it is. Obsidian starts eating up my CPU when i start typing.

Not typing in obsidian

Typing in obsidian:

Not laggy on other text processing software, except libreoffice writer when I add images in the file. Libreoffice doesn’t take up as much CPU.
Tried turning off hardware acceleration, no effect.

2 Likes

More info:
Not doing anything for 20 secs (40 - 20 secs) then holding down a key for 20 secs (20 - 0 secs)

When I hold down a key it freezes until I let go, then it inputs the symbols.

Did this just start happening to you recently? In the v1.1.9 release notes it was recommended to reinstall from the latest installer to get the latest Electron. No idea if that is related to your issue, but it could be worth a try.

1 Like

The problem was mostly in one really big note so I divided it up, restarted, and now it’s fixed! This was a non-problem, I’m trying to delete the post but I can’t. Thanks for the quick reply!

Alright cool, I’ll just move it to resolved help for now.

Can you say, how many words was it? Or lots of images/links too?

ive been having this similar issue with bigger notes - even the ones without images or links seem to get a little laggy when typing. The problem then goes away once I divide that note. The larger note that i was working on had 2500 words when it started lagging

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.