Keep bullets when adding a task to a list

Using the latest obsidian on MacOS I would like to ask the following …

Currently when you have a list you see bullets. When one of the bullets becomes a task using - [ ] the the bullet disappears … see the image below …
Pasted image 20220426221447

That is wrong behaviour in my opinion as I on purpose defined a list. A checkbox (defining a task) would be a part of the content of that bullet and should not replace the bullet.

So the lower part of this image above should have 3 bullets with the content of the second bullet starting with a checkbox.

For reference … I think Logseq does this a lot better. See the image below.
Pasted image 20220426221418
You can ignore the TODO is this case. The list is independent of the fact if a certain bullet is a task or not.

Why do I care so much about this only optical difference? Because most of my task are in my daily notes and I use an outline in my daily notes … So 1 big list. I like this setup as it makes it very convenient to move bullets including sub-bullets around. But the break in the list is very disorienting to me … specially with multiple task in different levels of indentation. Which is mostly the case for me.

Would this be a change you might consider? I don’t think it breaks anything as the format is strictly speaking the same only the presentation would be changed.

If you genuinely think the current implementation is better then what I propose please let me know why you think so. I am interested.

4 Likes

I agree in principle, and I have a specific workflow that is disrupted because of this. I’m using the zoom plugin to “hoist” an outline. When the bullet is converted to a checkbox it breaks. You can see I’m styling Obsidian to outline similar to logseq/workflowy.

checkbox-2022-05-06_22.04.15

Thanks for bringing in just another reason to change the current default behaviour.

I do use Zoom-plugin myself but almost exclusively using the hotkey’s to zoom in and zoom out so I completely missed the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks…

unfortunately this is still an issue with the latest and greatest.

Does anybody but me (and TRU) use tasks in lists?

The list is all over the place.

1 Like