Kanban Plugin

Yes, sorry. Using Hazel for this does probably require scripting.

Awesome tool, love it ! Thank you. After using the command to archive all completed cards on the board, where do the archived cards go?

This is, indeed, a bit confusing. All archived items are still part of the md note that is being presented as a kanban board – they will show up in a search of your vault, for example – but they are invisible. You have to switch to “Open as markdown” from “More options” (top right: ...). Then all archived cards are listed under the heading “Archive” at the bottom. BTW: There is no differentiation between which lists those archived cards were originally in. I periodically go through and purge those items.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up & prompt help, you solved the riddle I have been busy with for a while. :smile:

FYI, if you’re not already aware: you can also set a setting to prevent the archive from growing beyond a number of list items. This can be helpful in not having to manually purge the archive.

2 Likes

10 Likes

I am very grateful for this plugin. Is there a way to filter cards on the board by tag? I use tags to mark cards for specific projects, and it would be really useful to have a single board for everything, with predefined filters that I can quickly use to zoom in on a single project.

2 Likes

You can kinda do with with search (ctrl / cmd + f), but not quite to the same effect. There are some tricky technical problems related to filtering that I need to figure out, but I hope to do so soon.

Question for you: would you be upset if you couldn’t move cards around when filtering?

2 Likes

Question for you: would you be upset if you couldn’t move cards around when filtering?

Might be okay, particularly if there was an option to “sort by priority” (with a rank priority field) when filtering. Could get finicky though, and the beauty of kanban is being able to drag cards around (which you’ve implemented so well!).

2 Likes

It would be a bummer if filtering stopped the ability to move cards, as then I couldn’t really use it as a single project board in filter mode. I’d only be able to see tasks for one project, rather than manage them.

Btw, I’m not at all married to tags for this. If there is some other way to combine multiple project tasks into a “meta kanban” (maybe by combining boards in a specific folder?) I’m all ears.

Thanks again for your work.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @AutonomyGaps and @bnonn! This is helpful perspective. I’ll have to play around with this and see what I can come up with.

2 Likes

Seems like I can’t link to aliases when the board view is enabled. Or am I missing something?

Ah, you are correct, this is a bug!

Hi @mgmeyers, this plugin is amazing! Thank you so much for all of your hard work.

I’m not sure if this is the place as I’ve never made a request before, but are swim lanes on the horizon? It’d be great to add rows on the y axis to manage multiple projects/people.

Thanks again :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @ryadaj! I’ve added this to the roadmap.

For those interested, I’ve move the development roadmap here for visibility: Obsidian Kanban Roadmap · GitHub

5 Likes

That’s beautiful. A Kanban board. Of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mgmeyers great work! You list https://www.speare.com as a possible inspiration for Kanban. Revolutionary in the process of writing by going granular and keeping the big picture at the same time. Definitely a valuable idea to include this as a Kanban-feature!!!

https://gingkowriter.com/ is another example ( less kanban but great! https://youtu.be/J4prcx0jZ9M)

Already mentioned here under Document Spanning:

6 Likes

Hi, can you suit with queries? I mean have queries for todos and from those create the lists and the cards?

I have the plugin installed and working . . . or so I thought. No matter what I try, I cannot “drag and drop” any of the cards or columns. The Kanban simply snaps back to it’s original setup.

Create an issue on the github repository. The developers are very responsive and will be able to help you. Issues · mgmeyers/obsidian-kanban · GitHub

1 Like