Jupyter Notebook integration for Obsidian?

Wow that is super cool. While I agree that Obsidian is not the best for full blown development, I do have tons of coding notes and it would be really convenient to quickly see what they do without having to open up and IDE.

3 Likes

Hoping to give this a try but I can’t seem to locate a main.js file after yarn - probably me forgetting something dumb

@vvarren have you tried the npm i followed by npm run dev steps and still not getting the main.js?

@tillahoffmann : this is something I really waited for. Learning Python, running scripts in Obsidian would be so great. Even if I will never do actual developing work in Obsidian.

But I can`t get it to work. Working on Windows, I don’t know what to input as path to the python interpreter. I tried everything I could think of: “C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32”, with all possible combinations of “/”, “\”, “//”, “\\”. The path is correct. And yes: instead of “<username>” I used my correct username.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Like

solved it! thank you!

I just want to +1 on this and include a link to a related comment, Filtering Everywhere! - #4 by goodsignal

1 Like

Anyone have an update on this? I’d like to move my Jekyll site into a networked note taking platform. But I have a lot of crappy ipynb’s I’d like to also have on the site. https://rcyost.github.io/ ← how to turn this into obsidian and keeping the ipynb’s is what I am after basically.

+1 for that, having the ability to simply open natively a jupyter notebook (even without running it), and having the ability to link the markdown content would be revolutionary for computer science note taking

3 Likes

Great! But for viewing .ipynb?
not for running but for reading or updating markdown sections?

2 Likes

yep just being able to view would be great

1 Like

Indeed, it would be great.

Currently, if you put an ipynb file into the obsidian explorer you get the json-like content. It would be great if Obsidian could preview the content like Jupyter!

2 Likes

definitively

be aware of this one GitHub - Exr0nProjects/obsidian-sage: Create interactive SageMath cells in Obsidian
I’ve just tried it’s working

1 Like

Hey guys,

It would be amazing if we could have a preview and interact with Jupyter’s notebook. I’m just starting learning datascience and it would help a lot.

I’ve found a way to preview Jupyter’s notebook in obsidian if you want to try.

You need to:

• Create a public repo in github and put into it your notebooks
  • Go on https://mybinder.org/ and put the link of your github repo.
  • iframe the content in your Obsidian note.

You can’t run the code (not working through iframe) or edit but you can at least read it (you can actually edit, but it will not be saved). And you need to have an internet connection to load it.

Look like this:

via GIPHY

Hope it helps!

1 Like

The obsidian-jupyter plugin by @tillahoffmann works great for me. It’s not the right setup as a dev environment, but it’s good for noting snippets and testing the snippets, noting outputs/plots etc all within the obsidian notes.
Thanks @tillahoffmann for creating it. :slight_smile: GitHub - tillahoffmann/obsidian-jupyter

2 Likes

I came across an important restriction when using this plugin.
State is not maintained across cells, Variables initialized or modules imported in previous cells are not available to later cells.

It might be good for running self contained snippets on Obsidian, but not for working across multiple cells.

I hope I’m not using the plugin in any wrong way.

Please Couid you provide steps to activate Jupyter Plugin on windows?

I think the ‘Execute Code’ plugin does exactly what is desired here. It also does a lot more as well!

State is maintained in ‘Read’ mode, but not in ‘Edit’ mode. If you are testing the code you are actually writing in Edit mode, Ctrl + click the View button on the top right, and open the same panel in a ‘Read’ mode tab. Now you will be able to run what you are writing. Easy, make your updates in ‘Edit’-mode tab, run your code in ‘View’-mode tab.

While all the above-proposed solutions are great, I think what a lot of people might be after is support for the actual .ipynb file format. This would allow for developing code in a full-featured IDE and also be able to view everything in obsidian (+ added bonus would be to be able to run the cells too). Even better, being able to add wikilink support in a jupyter notebook to other parts of the vault would be amazing

4 Likes