Italics or Bold in footnotes introduces a space

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new note.
  2. Create a footnote with italics or bold followed immediately by a punctuation mark.
  3. Switch to Preview mode
  4. A space is introduced between the formatting end character (_ or *) and the character immediately following. This does not occur if there is a space after the formatting end character. This also happens before the start character, as in the example "_there_"

The following may be used as a sample:

_Italic text_.^[and _this_, dear reader, is a footnote] This is _another example_, dear reader. Testing **bolding**, boldly^[test **bolding**, **boldly** so "_there_"] "_here_"

Expected result

Expected the comma to come directly after the formatted text, as happens with regular text not in a footnote

Actual result

A space is introduced after the last character in the italicized text.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 11.5.2
  • Obsidian version: v0.12.15, Safe Mode Enabled

Additional information

Sample text:

_Italic text_.^[and _this_, dear reader, is a footnote] This is _another example_, dear reader. Testing **bolding**, boldly^[test **bolding**, **boldly** so  "_there_"] "_here_"

Result screenshot:

1 Like

I would love for this to be attended to. It surely is a bug because it bugs me!

I found this post via search when checking to see if this problem (which I’ve just happened across) had already been reported.

Is there any update on whether it has been acknowledged and whether a fix might be coming?