Issue: image files won't display after renaming them

Before opening a new bug report, please search the forum for duplicates and follow the Troubleshooting Guide.

• We only consider bugs that are reproducible in the sandbox vault or a vault with no third-party plugins/no css snippets/default theme.
  • For Linux, we only accept bug reports that are reproducible with our Appimage package under Gnome or KDE.
  • Developer issues with the API should go here

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

I’ve renamed most of my pasted png and jpeg files.
Some still work but approximately 70% are shown as a little broken image icon when I open it in Obsidian or when I embed it in a document. The file itself isn’t broken since I can open them normally in any other program. They are also shown normally in the Android app. The issues are on my PC and on my Laptop, which both run Arch Linux under KDE.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

I restarted Obsidian with default Theme and no third party plugins / CSS snippets but the issue remains.

Expected result

I expect the jpegs and pngs to show up normally instead of the broken icon, both by opening and embedding.

Actual result

The image file didn’t show as expected, as if the file was broken, despite working normally on Android and by opening in any other image viewing program.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:10:15 +0000 6.3.8-zen1-1-zen
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 12
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

This is not going to be a bug, I don’t think.

I have many images with filenames made up of multiple words.
Solutions I have found:

1. Remove spaces or use underscores in lieu of spaces.
  2. Use ˙<˙ and `>˙ characters in leading and trailing positions within the link.

I generally make sure I stick to solution 1.

1 Like

I can’t reproduce this. Can you provide a video of this happening in the sandbox vault?

1 Like

I’ve tried a bit around to reproduce it and I finally found what the actual issue was: Apparently Umlauts (“Ü, Ö, Ä, ä”) cause this issue. Maybe even more characters but these are the ones that definitely caused it in some files. What is weird though is that I don’t seem to have that issue on Mobile, where I can open and see these files just fine.
issue.zip (191.6 KB)

Yeah, I forgot to mention those as well.
Also, same weird thing happened to me: sometimes the diacritic characters don’t cause problems.
So I have some image file names with mixed normalized+accented chars.

Obsidian being made for multiple language support must be able to tackle accented chars, ideograms from Chinese, etc.
Then some people even do Sumerian, Akkadian, Assyrian cuneiform – which is the next step.
I am not sure about unicode and multibyte characters as I am not a programmer.

1 Like