Is there somewhere to view crash logs for Obsidian?

Info on my system:
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0
Obsidian Version: v0.13.23

Over the past week my computer has crashed 3 times, forcing me to hard reboot by holding the power button, and the only thing in common between all 3 crashes was that Obsidian was open. The most recent instance was that I had a workspace that was first split horizontally, then the top half split vertically, and then I tried splitting the right side of the top half again, vertically, and this caused Obsidian to freeze. I tried killing it with Task Manager, but then the Windows UI wouldn’t respond properly, and trying to restart that through task manager broke things further so I had to hard reboot.

After the reboot I tried looking in Windows Reliability History and Event Viewer, but I can’t find anything useful there (I filtered to show only warnings, errors, and critical events in the last hour for both application and system logs, and all it can tell me is that the computer didn’t shutdown correctly, which makes sense since I did a hard reboot).

So now I’m wondering if Obsidian logs anything anywhere so I could try finding out happened. The only other piece of info I have is that while Obsidian was frozen, in Task Manager it showed that my GPU usage was at 100%, yet every process in task manager was using only a tiny bit of GPU, and sorting didn’t reveal any GPU hogs (I was expecting Obsidian to be at the top of the list since it froze, I assume some bug with rendering?). Any pointers on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if this is related? I have a file that freezes Windows - #14 by soerensenkarl It mentions high CPU usage while I have high GPU usage but I’m not sure if there’s a common cause

Since Obsidian is an Electron app, you can use the Chromium developer tools to view an in-app console.

Cmd + Opt+ I on macOS or Ctrl + Shift + I on Windows or Linux.

You might want to keep that open to see what’s going on when you experience this issue again.

However, that won’t help you if Obsidian has already crashed. I’m not sure if there’s a log saved somewhere, actually…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.