Is it possible to search two tags (not text keywords) in the same section?

I have the following .md files.

For clarity, I’ll use screenshots instead of markdown.

test_search/test1.md

test_search/test2.md

test_search/test3.md

My purpose is to search all the sections that contain both two tags, i.e. #tag2 and #tag3.

A naive approach is to use section:(#tag2 #tag3), the result is:

- Match section:
	- Match all of:
	- Matches text: "#tag2"
	- Matches text: "#tag3"

- test1 4
	- ## test1-heading #tag2 #tag3
	- #tag2 #tag3

Note that

1. It included two result instead of 1. The 2nd one is in the code block and they are not tags.

2. I have turn on the “Explain search term”, it shown that engine was matching text rather than tag.

The obsidian doc says that

Note: Since tag: ignores matches in code blocks and in non-Markdown content, it’s often faster and more accurate than a normal full-text search for #work.

Therefore I rewrite the query:

section:((tag: tag2) (tag: tag3))

However it doesn’t work.

The “Explain search term” says

Operator “tag” cannot be nested within “section”.

So is there any way to work around this problem?

Thanks.

P.s. I also tried ((tag: tag2) (tag: tag3)) section:(#tag2 #tag3), it still return two results. BTW what does the space (that before “section”) here mean? AND or OR?

2 Likes

From what you describe, I think it’s not possible. :frowning: I think it would be a good feature request (if one doesn’t already exist).

The space means “AND”.

I actually would have found those easier to understand as Markdown (inside code blocks). The search result might have been better as a a screenshot (altho less accessible, so maybe not).

Thanks.

A bit disappointed :slightly_frowning_face:.

I agree, but I found that I cannot edit this thread anymore…

I just searched #feature-requests tags:search tag in the forum, it seems no one mentioned. Do you know how to convert this thread to a feature request? Or I have to create a new thread ?

No biggie. It didn’t stop me from understanding the post, I just figured I’d mention since you’d specifically said it was for clarity.

It’s probably better to start a new thread — I think the FR section uses a different template.

But in general, you would click the edit button near the title. If you don’t see that button, you might not have that permission yet. I can edit other people’s posts, so feel free to ping me if you accidentally post in the wrong section.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.