Is it possible to render a standard HTML table in an Obsidian Note?

UPDATE AT BOTTOM: MUST BE A COMMUNITY PLUG-IN ISSUE.

That site (look for his point 2 about HTML) shows a note with a fairly complex HTML table and down below that, the rendering of it in a note.
He does not seem to have (if you look around the list he posts much further down) any plug-in that would somehow do this. He just appears to have fed in HTML and got ot a rendered result. I cannot replicate this.

Here’s the raw HTML:

<table cellpadding="5">
<tr>
<th colspan="2" rowspan="2" style="border-style:none;"></th>
<th colspan = "3">Formes conjointes</th>
<th rowspan="2">Formes<br />disjointes</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Sujet</td>
<td>Complément direct</td>
<td>Complément indirect</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th rowspan="4">Sing.</th>
<td>1<sup>re</sup> pers.</td>
<td>je</td>
<td>me</td>
<td>me</td>
<td>moi</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2<sup>e</sup> pers.</td>
<td>tu</td>
<td>te</td>
<td>te</td>
<td>toi</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3<sup>e</sup> pers.</td>
<td>il, elle</td>
<td>le, la, en</td>
<td>lui, en, y</td>
<td>lui, elle</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td>se</td>
<td>se</td>
<td>soi (soi-même)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th rowspan="4">Plur.</th>
<td>nous</td>
<td>nous</td>
<td>nous</td>
<td>nous</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>vous</td>
<td>vous</td>
<td>vous</td>
<td>vous</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>ils, elles</td>
<td>les, leur, se</td>
<td>leur, en, y, se</td>
<td>eux, elles, </td>
</tr>
</table>

And here, on this site, it appears to render… as below

Formes conjointes Formes
disjointes
Sujet Complément direct Complément indirect
Sing. 1re pers. je me me moi
2e pers. tu te te toi
3e pers. il, elle le, la, en lui, en, y lui, elle
se se soi (soi-même)
Plur. 1re pers. nous nous nous nous
2e pers. vous vous vous vous
3e pers. ils, elles les, leur, se leur, en, y, se eux, elles,

Things I have tried

I tried pasting the example text (the HTML for the big table) into a note in edit mode and then switching to reading mode but all I get is NOT the table renderd as such, just the HTML itself rendered all slammed together (rather than laid out like it was in the note).

I have tried with tags wrapping the table HTML and that didn’t help.

I tried three backticks and html and then three back ticks as delimeters which did something: It created a scrollable box and rendered the HTML table as I entered it like a code snippet.

I have embedded tables and a few otther non-table related plug-ins, but I’ve disabled embedded tables plug-in and it didn’t help.

What I’m trying to do

Be able to include my own hand made HTML tables (to use more of the options in building the tables and in styling them with CSS classes I’d later add). For that, I need to figure out if it is still possible to render an HTML table into a note without turning it into markdown but rendered as a table, not a collection of HTML tags.

If this SHOULD work, can someone show me a simple example (or the table above rendered)?

I’m on a Windows platform and have the latest (yesterday) download of Obsidian.

I can disable all community plug-ins if that would be helpful, but none (other than the disabled embedded tables plut-in) seem relevant to inclusion of HTML and/or HTML tables.

UPDATE: I engaged ‘safe mode’ and restarted with no community plug-ins and the code rendered. I don’t know which plug-in it is, but I guess that’s my next research.

Okay, that’s annoying. It renders right here in the above just by pasting the HTML in. Why isn’t that working for me I wonder?

Thoughts?

<table cellpadding="5">
<tr>
<th colspan="2" rowspan="2" style="border-style:none;"></th>
<th colspan = "3">Formes conjointes</th>
<th rowspan="2">Formes<br />disjointes</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Sujet</td>
<td>Complément direct</td>
<td>Complément indirect</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th rowspan="4">Sing.</th>
<td>je</td>
<td>me</td>
<td>me</td>
<td>moi</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>tu</td>
<td>te</td>
<td>te</td>
<td>toi</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>il, elle</td>
<td>le, la, en</td>
<td>lui, en, y</td>
<td>lui, elle</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td>se</td>
<td>se</td>
<td>soi (soi-même)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th rowspan="4">Plur.</th>
<td>nous</td>
<td>nous</td>
<td>nous</td>
<td>nous</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>vous</td>
<td>vous</td>
<td>vous</td>
<td>vous</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>ils, elles</td>
<td>les, leur, se</td>
<td>leur, en, y, se</td>
<td>eux, elles, </td>
</tr>
</table>

Here’s what I see coming out in reading mode:

<table cellpadding="5"> <tr> <th colspan="2" rowspan="2" style="border-style:none;"></th> <th colspan = "3">Formes conjointes</th> <th rowspan="2">Formes<br />disjointes</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Sujet</td> <td>Complément direct</td> <td>Complément indirect</td> </tr> <tr> <th rowspan="4">Sing.</th> <td>1<sup>re</sup> pers.</td> <td>je</td> <td>me</td> <td>me</td> <td>moi</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2<sup>e</sup> pers.</td> <td>tu</td> <td>te</td> <td>te</td> <td>toi</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3<sup>e</sup> pers.</td> <td>il, elle</td> <td>le, la, en</td> <td>lui, en, y</td> <td>lui, elle</td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td></td> <td>se</td> <td>se</td> <td>soi (soi-même)</td> </tr> <tr> <th rowspan="4">Plur.</th> <td>1<sup>re</sup> pers.</td> <td>nous</td> <td>nous</td> <td>nous</td> <td>nous</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2<sup>e</sup> pers.</td> <td>vous</td> <td>vous</td> <td>vous</td> <td>vous</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3<sup>e</sup> pers.</td> <td>ils, elles</td> <td>les, leur, se</td> <td>leur, en, y, se</td> <td>eux, elles, </td> </tr> </table>

SOURCE OF ISSUE: The Issue was the Community Plug-In Embedded Tables. Once I disabled it, the HTML table rendered fine. Once I enabled it again, the rendering of the HTML went back to just showing the tags.

I am happy to do my own HTML tables, so I will disabled Embedded Tables and just hand brew my tables.

1 Like

To be clear: Since I don’t seem to be able to edit the other posts, it is Table-Extended Plug-In that is the problem.

I was calling it Embedded Tables and that’s NOT accurate.

I have filled an Issue on GitHub with the creator of Table-Extended Plug-In.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.