Is it possible to ignore certain tags?

I have some content in my database that includes hashtags, but the hashtags are the content itself (because the content is about online media).

These hashtags show up in the Tag pane on Obsidian, and I don’t want them to. Is there a way to instruct Obsidian to ignore certain tags?

Judging by @obsi’s feature request to ignore tags used in templates, I’m guessing there’s not a way to do this – but I thought I’d try.

1 Like

It requires a little more typing, but you can surround them with one tick on either side:

`` <-- your tag between those two

to prevent them from showing up in the tag pane.

2 Likes

You can also escape the hash character (#) with a backslash (\)

This is a tag: #tag

This is a not a tag: \#notag

2 Likes

@andrezgz beat me to this point. One thing I would add in regard to the tag list - I’ve observed that tags don’t seem to disappear from the apps “memory” immediately when you enter corrections etc. So if you have existing tags you want to ignore you may need to close the app after you’ve escaped the hashtags in order to have them disappear from the tag lists. Won’t matter for those you escape when first typing them.

1 Like

It would be nice to disable “#tag” interpretation for a single note with YAML keyword, for example “tags-in-note”: disable, and leave tags for note only in YAML:

tags: foo, bar
tags-in-note: disable

4 Likes

This would be VERY helpful!

I have a problem with

• writing documentation that includes example tags

• importing information from the web that includes tags

Now these tags, I do not wish to add to my own vault-specific tags, but in the current way, they end up being there.

I experimented with formatting the text blocks as code or codefence. They both keep the contained tags out of my vaults tagbase. But this creates other trouble:

• codeblocks would only make sense if I enclose the entire paragraph inside it as they create line breaks and a separate layout block. They also alter the formatting of this paragraph. And all this is not what I want.

• codefences also alter the appearance of the formatted words. They could, however, for the tags only. But this requires me to mark and format each of these instances.

Would it be possible to introduce some kind of general “disable tags” handle? It could then

• be used in YAML and affect the entire note (below frontmatter, as you still want to tag the note itself) or
  • become part of a dedicated callout users can set up. This callout would then igore all tags inside but not alter the formatting and layout of the text.
2 Likes