Is it possible to create a new file and then modify the annotated data?

Hi!

I’m new to Obsidian and I’m trying to create a really simple script based on templater + dataview + buttons plugins.

The intention of the Script is to generate a Note “B” (applying a specific template) from note “A” when clicking on the button that triggers the script.

But there is a catch.

I want to populate the dataview annotated fields of Note “B” based on the daview annotated fields from Note “A”.

Here is an Example:

Note A (Country):

world:: [[Earth]]
#Example Title
Lots of stuff

Note B (Animal) Template:

world::
#Example Title
Lots of stuff

When creating the Note B from the button allocated in Note A, I want to populate the world:: field with [[Earth]] value because the father has this value.

Investigation Notes/Questions:

• I know read that dataview API is read-only so you can’t modify the annotated fields through this plugin (Right, I’m not 100% sure?)
  • Is there any way to get the tp variable from a newly created file (created using tp.file.create_new() function)? Because if I can do that from a JS Script it will solve all my problems

I appreciate any help, this is driving me a little bit crazy… hehe

Using Templater you can access the folder which triggered the template, and then you should have easy access to its fields. And if you use the templater javascript execution code, you can also do dataview queries and insert them statically into the new note.

So everything should be doable, I think, as I understand your request.